Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Cloudy water

If you are new to the hobby.

Cloudy water

Postby Barryuk1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi everyone

Hope somebody can help, I have just set up a new tank, followed all instructions to the tee. The water was lovely and crystal clear for the first 2 days, then it seems to have went a little cloudy.

There are no fish in it yet, the filter and heater seem to be working fine, and I made sure I washed all the stuff thoroughly before putting into the tank.

Is this normal? And will it clear up?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Barry
Barryuk1

Re: Cloudy water

Postby POS_miniracer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:35 pm

That typically indicates the start of a bacterial bloom. Sometimes what appears to be cloudy water is actually a film building up on the inside of the glass. Give it a swipe with your finger and see if there's just a bit of a slime feel to it and if it leaves a clean streak on the glass.

The thing that has me puzzled is why there would be a bloom if you've only just added water to the tank?

Have you added anything to the water such as any water treatments that may contain enzyme's or bacteria such as any "instant cycle" products or anything claiming to make the tank instantly fish ready?

What type of substrate or gravel/sand did you use if any?

Also keep in mind once we get to the bottom of the cloudiness you still need to cycle your tank before adding any fish. Here is a link to an excellent article that explains how and why a tank must be cycled.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23
POS_miniracer

Return to Beginners