Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

moonlight gourami v tetras?

If you are new to the hobby.

moonlight gourami v tetras?

Postby markabi » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi
we have recently added a Moonlight Gourami as a centrepiece fish to a 40 gallon community. Described as a good community fish, placid, timid etc we thought the rest of the fish would be ok.
Now the neons(5) and jewel tetras?(2) (grey with black diamond behind eyes and big fins) have gone into hiding amongst the plants and hardly ever show themselves. If I watch for quite a long time, I occasionally see the gourami chasing the neons around the back of the tank. yet never the guppys(4), minnows(4) or platys(2)
I dont want the neons hiding away like this so is the only option to remove the gourami? can it change?
If i give them more time, will they get used to each other or will the tetras get stressed and die of either that - or starvation?
many thanks for any advice
markabi

Re: moonlight gourami v tetras?

Postby malakye » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 am

I have always found moonlights can be a bit nippy, a better choice would have been a pair of pearl gourami. As long as they are not actually nipping the neons they should be fine. Neons do better in larger groups, they take their courage from more of their own kind.
Jewel tetra are also known as Serpae tetra, have a look and see if that is them as what your describing sounds different.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superdart » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 am

Place a mirror on the side of the tank(outside)and that will take the aggression away as it should be too busy trying to attack its own reflection to bother the other fish.If that does not stop it take it back to your LFS and swap it for something more suitable.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby markabi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Many thanks guys. The better half changed the tank around today and things seem a lot calmer. Will wait and see before giving there ideas a go
markabi

Return to Beginners