Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

What's the limit?

If you are new to the hobby.

What's the limit?

Postby Rushey64 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi. I am new to the forum and relatively new to tropical fish keeping. I had a 30 litre tank for about a year and recently upgraded to a 125 litre. How many fish can I keep in my new tank? At the moment I have 1 bristle nose plec, 1 albino bristle nose plec, 3 clown loaches, 2 bleeding heart tetras, 2 silver tip tetras, 1 black neon tetra, 1 cardinal tetra, 1 platy, 2 Molly's, 2 cory catfish, 2 angel fish, 1 pineapple swordtail, 1 Siamese fighter and two baby five banded barbs, 1 Guppey. I plan to keep this tank for a couple of years and then hopefully upgrade to an even bigger tank. Have I reached my limit or is there room for a couple more? The problem is that I think all of the tropical fish are lovely and am worried that I may have got a bit carried away, but at the same time hoping that I could maybe get a couple more. Ideally I would like to get another 3 but not sure what. If I am able to get a few more do you have any suggestions as to what I could get. I have got a very happy tank and don't want to unsettle it.

Any advice or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks. :thu:
Rushey64

Re: What's the limit?

Postby Big Den » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 am

Welcome to the forum. To be honest you are way over the limit with the amount of fish that you have already, The clown fish alone are too much for a tank that size, they can easily reach 10 inches. And the angel fish would need a tank that size as a pair let alone the rest of the occupants. I hope you have very good filtration and do a 30% water change per week otherwise you are asking for problems.
I know it's very easy to get carried away when you see a fish you like but you must be strict with yourself for the sake of the fish.
Big Den

Postby Katfish » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:10 pm

We all get the bug and the mindset one more fish wont hurt then 10 fish later we end up over stocked etc.

I would not buy any more fish and look a possibly moving on some as the clown loaches get very big and really should be kept in a group of 6 plus.

The angels when they get bigger will start to pick off your tetras more the neons though as that is there natural food.

My advice would be is to move on the clown loaches and angels and get some more cory cats as again they should be kept in a group of 6 or more and you will see a total difference in them when you have 6 or more they are very active and great to watch when the play even funny.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi as Den and Katfish have both said the clown loaches do end up getting really large. I have a pair of angels who are just over the year old (last month) and the big male is already over 6inches. I would see if you can exchange them for other fish. Ideally corys need to be in a group of at least 4, with 6 being better. Cardinals and tetra are another fish that do better in a group than on their own and look great swimming in a shoal so you could up the numbers of those if you did swap the angels and clown loaches.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rushey64 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for your advice everyone. There is just one solution to the problem then. I will just have to get another large tank !!!! Yay!!!!
Rushey64

Postby malakye » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:35 pm

Go for as big a tank as you can get cause the clownloaches can hit 10 inches although they are slow growing. Angels really need a tank at least 15 inches deep but deeper is better for them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners