[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Indoor pool
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Indoor pool

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Indoor pool

Postby Big Den » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:27 pm

I've had this idea in my head for a while now and will definitely get it done this year. I want to build a pool 10 feet long 4 feet wide and 3 feet deep in my garage. Its primary purpose is to house my shoal of 16 red bellied piranhas. I will also add a few shoals of small tetra's like serpae, red eyes and such like. I also want the back part, above the pool, for growing plants that will trail down into the water.
I intend to make it out of 100x50 timbers glued and screwed together something like a 'log cabin'. The inside and base will be covered with polystyrene insulation and I will have a box welded liner made to go into it. As soon as I can relocate the tanks that are in the way I will start. One is a 4x2x2 with a 9 inch S rhombeus in, the other is a 5x2x2.5 that is home to the 15 inch jag, 3 red head cichlids, pair of jewels, a dempsey, 4 x 10/12 inch plecs and a couple of other small cichlids. I just need an intermediate tank to house the fish as I move the tanks around, but I don't have the space to put one. I think some of the fish will have to go. I have the 8x2x2 in my office but that has 3 x 12" oscars, a 13" red head, 5 large silver dollars, an eartheater and a 15" plec in it. 12 of the red bellies are in a 6x2x2 at the moment, the other 4 are in a 70 gallon fibre glass tank on the floor. The other idea I have is to site the 6 foot and 4 foot along side each other, raised over the the back of the new pool and not have the plant section. I'm open to ideas if you have any?
Big Den

Re: Indoor pool

Postby Anita » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Sounds like you have a plan there Den. Regards the pond what are you planning to do for lighting?
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:13 pm

I have 2 x 150 watt metal halides ready for it Anita. That's if I go with the planted section, if not the reds are not too keen on a lot of light anyway.
Big Den

Postby andy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:07 am

It really depends on how much time you're going to spend in the garage looking at your feature Den. If the pond was in the lounge or somewhere where everyone sat or you entertained friends etc, i'd say go for the plants, if it's in the garage where only you see it, it's not worth it.

Just my humble opinion.
andy

Postby Big Den » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 am

You have a point there Andy. I would like to build it in the conservatory, but 'her indoors' wont hear of it. :cry:
Big Den

Postby Mick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 am

Now this does sound like an interesting project, be interesting to see it develop

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Big Den » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:49 am

I will take photos as I go.
Big Den

Postby andy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:20 pm

How about incorperating some marginal shelves at the back and grow some tropical marginals such as cyperus papyrus. That will at least give the backdrop you need.
andy

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Am I picturing this right in my head in that it'll be above ground?
POS_miniracer

Postby andy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Are you thinking of putting a viewing window in Den. With the utmost respect, Pirhanas aren't exactly the most inspiring of fish...they have dark backs and they're very timid fish so the chances of seeing them might be a bit restricted.

However, if you flush all thos carnivores down the khazi or release them into the local duckpond :lolflag You could house a silver arowana in there easily...and at 4 feet long, you'll always see it :-): Couple of pacu too and maybe a giant gouramie and it'll be perfik !!! :thu:

:jump:
andy

Next

Return to DIY Projects