Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

What to do with LOTS of bristlenose babies?

Planning on breeding fish or already breeding them.

What to do with LOTS of bristlenose babies?

Postby Ronnie03 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi there,

We have a tank with various fish and have mistakenly managed to breed our bristlenose plecos.

We're unsure what to do with them now. There are approximately 30 whizzing around the tank. Obviously our tank isn't big enough to cope with that number of babies but we're worried about catching them and rehoming them. They're SO fast and really tricky to net and none of the local pet shops take babies from private homes as they all have supplier contracts.

The biggest babies are about 2cm long now and the smallest are less then a cm so we are assuming there are at least 2 batches. We will also need to regime mummy or daddy as we can't keep having babies.

What do you think is the best option? Thanks
Ronnie03

Re: What to do with LOTS of bristlenose babies?

Postby Barry » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:40 pm

We had loads as well when ours breed. We sold most through a local facebook group, why not try that.
Barry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby malakye » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:41 pm

As Barry said we waited until ours were slightly larger than an inch or two and sold them on local groups and adverts in the petstores, shops. I was selling them at 2 for a fiver but it was several years back, now your lucky if you get a pound each. My male died sadly so it stopped my breeding regime.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ronnie03 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Great, thanks. I'll put something on Facebook. Although I'm not sure you can advertise pets on our local one.
Ronnie03

Postby malakye » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Look for a local fish group or pets group in your area on facebook, most areas have them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fish Breeding