[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - I have Cockatoo Cichlid Fry :)
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

I have Cockatoo Cichlid Fry :)

Planning on breeding fish or already breeding them.

Re: I have Cockatoo Cichlid Fry :)

Postby malakye » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Looks great vanessa, they are a credit too you.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vanessa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:35 pm

In both fry tanks I have 2 plant pots and 3 wider leaved silk plants each, I also have java moss balls in the younger fry tank but no real plants, mainly because snails freak me out lol. I will probably pass on most of the fry once they are older. I am on a fish forum local to me and a few people have asked for some when they are ready. I think I have mostly females, some fry have developed black markings on their bottom fins like the mum, whereas the dads are blue? will need to do more research to double check though :) Thanks guys :)
Vanessa

Postby Getthejist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Once they start to show a bit more colour the males should have more colourfull fins, they're quite hard to distinguish unless they are pretty big. I know how you feel about snails, I hate them too but I never have any. Silk plants are good too, I just like to have live plants because I find it less work with them.
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby Vanessa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Some new pics at 46 day old, managed to get one clear close up. Am I right in thinking that its just females that have black on their pelvic fins? If that is the case then I have mostly females, at least 8/9 of them from 11. I read about a guy who had 46 males and no females so it cant be as rare as I thought it would be to have such a large percentage of one sex?
The other fry is also doing great too so far, mum has lost some interest and leaves them to it, with mum not herding them anymore they are spread all over the 60l and making it hard to clean the tank incase I syphon them up, especially as its black gravel and hard to see them lol. Noticed today that mum has lost her yellow colour too so will maybe think about moving her soon? The 2nd batch of fry are 17 days old now I think :-):
Vanessa

Postby Mick » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:15 am

Excellent pics and healthy looking offspring. Not sure about the black markings but hopefully someone else will be able to help you on that one.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Vanessa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:20 pm

53 days old and we finally have a hint of colour :ye: only in two or three of them so far and its seems more prominent when they are against the substrate rather than them swimming about in the open. So excited to see what colours they will be lol
Vanessa

Postby Mick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 am

Using a darker substrate sometime encourages the colouration to come out, they will all colour up eventually.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Vanessa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey guys
Sorry I havent been on in ages but the computer finally packed in and have been using my iphone ever since. Finally trying out the kids laptop to update on my fry since I have last been on. All the fry I have spoken about so far had to be moved on as mum had more babies and I needed the tank for the new babies. All the fry came on great and had started to colour up lovely, most seemed to be triple reds which I was chuffed with. I kept mum out of the main tank for a while to give her a break but she spawned within hours of puttin her back in the tank. Cant remember my photobucket account password to add pics (I had it saved on my old computer). Anyway when taking mum and latest batch of babies out of the main tank I accidentally left what I thought was one or two babies in main tank with dad, didnt realise until the next day, had to strip the tank to catch mum so was surprised they survived. Nearly 4 weeks on there turned out to be 7 babies happily living with dad and harlequins and the funny thing is most of them are bigger than the ones in the fry tank with mum. Anyway last Sunday I was looking closely for the babies as they are still tootie to fed them some microworms and noticed there was 3 in the corner so proceeded to drop the worms in their direction when to my surprise up popped a baby Harlequin haha, he was chilling with the two cockatoos and I had never noticed him before and only did this time as he swam higher than the cockatoos for the food. Will try and get some pics up although he is still tiny. Just a pity there is only one, I love harlequins :) I have bought a new 160l tank which daddy is going to be moved into to keep them seperate for good. As much as I love my babies I had no intention to be a breeder and the daily water changes etc can be time consuming, plus its not fair on the mummy to be having babies in what seems as every 5 minutes lol. Its a shame to keep them seperate but its a shame for them to keep breeding. I cant win lol. Will try and get some pics up soon :)
Vanessa

Postby Anita » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 pm

I look forward to the pics, you have done really well, good stuff :thu:
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Like Mick I look forward to seeing the pictures, sounds like you have had a great success with them. They are lovely fish, something I will definitely look out for when I am trawling the fish shops.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Fish Breeding