[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Breeding Kribensis (Pelvicachromis Pulcher)
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Breeding Kribensis (Pelvicachromis Pulcher)

Planning on breeding fish or already breeding them.

Breeding Kribensis (Pelvicachromis Pulcher)

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:03 pm

The pelvicachromis pulcher, one of the most prolific dwarf cichlids that can be found. Most aquarist have, or have heard of the popular "kribensis fish".
It would be hard to miss such colorful fish while you make your way through a fish store.
The male usually no longer than 9 cm, carries a black horizental stripe that starts from the mouth to the tail. The male often has purplish fins, some egg spots on the anal or dorsal fin and a pinkish abdomen. What is most strinking about these dwarf cichlids, is the presence of more predominant colors in the female.
This is very rare among most fish species, the male usually being brighter and more colorful than his female counterpart.
Both sexes are equally as beautiful, the female usually 6 cm in length being a bright assortement of colors. Yellow gills, purple-pink abdomen and the same black stripe traverses from mouth to tail.

Another way to destinguish the sexes is to observe the tail and fins. The male usually has purple fins, while the female`s fins tend to be yellow.
The male has a diamond shaped tail, while the female has a rounded one. She also has rounded fins while the male will have longer, pointy anal and dorsal fins.

This is just the beginning of how amazing these fish are.
Kribensis breeding habits and parental care, make them one of the best fish parents in the cichlid family.

This colorful member of the Pelvicachromis family comes from west african rivers that often have brackish water.
So this hardy little fish doesnt care much for water chemistry. The best would be to keep ph between 6.5 and 7.5, anything between these are ideal for spawning.
Temperature preferences are usually the same for most cichlids, 75-82 F. To incite spawning, raise the water temperature up one or two degrees.
These fish, like most fish, require a large variety of foods to stay healthy and colorful. Anything from flakes, krill, freeze dried shrimps, tubifex worms, frozen brine shrimps and algae pellets are great for these fish.
* Blood worms are not recommended Kribensis.
I have found frozen brine shrimps, treated tubifex worms and flake food to be a very effective trio and conditioner when it comes to stimulating the breeding instinct.

These fish love a planted tank and unlike most Old world cichlids (African cichlids), kribs will not uproot plants or damage them in any way.
These peaceful cichlids are compatible with almost any non agressive tropical fish. Including, small neons or cardinal tetras.
The kribensis is also very compatible with south american species, due to its wide range in pH preference.

Spawning the Kribensis is both easy and fun. They will spawn inside caves or crevices. I like to put two rocks with flat sides facing each other only 3 centimeters apart.
Flowerpots and coconut shells also work well.
If none of these are available driftwood will be used for the egg-laying site, other times the kribs will lay the eggs in the substrate bed...either way, it is fun to watch.
The female will often lay her eggs, sideways or upside down. Laying between 100 and 250 depending on her size. The eggs are creamish beige in color and are very large in comparison with other dwarf cichlid eggs. At 82 F, the eggs will take 48 hours to hatch, at this point the fry are wigling at the bottow, digesting their yolk sacs for another 48 to 72 hours.

Once the fry are free swimming, they should be fed, newly hatched baby brine shrimp atleast twice a day. Regular and small water changes are great to get the fry growing fast. Once the babies reach half an inch in size, they may start eating adult fish food. Be sure to crumble the food up so that they do not choke on larger pieces.
If you intend on raising the fry yourself, then the eggs should be removed and placed in a small tank. An air stone should be placed close to the eggs so that the eggs are constantly swept by a current of water, thus mimicking the fanning given by the parents at this stage. Methylene blue should be added to the water, to prevent egg fungus. Again, regular water changes are good.

This sums up what you need to know in order to keep and spawn this hardy dwarf cichlids. For more info on breeding these fish, please contact me or ask your questions here.
Last edited by NightwishRaven999 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
NightwishRaven999

Re: Breeding Kribensis (Pelvimatochromis Pulcher)

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 am

Funny that I posted this article today.
My Kribensis are spawning right now.
I caught them on video and will post it here.
NightwishRaven999

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:24 pm

I separated the eggs from their parents 24 hours after they were laid and gave them their own 5 gallon tank.
The water temperature is 82 F so the eggs took about 48 hours to hatch.
The ph is neutral at 7.0 and the tank is filtered.

The water used to fill the 5 gallon tank is the same water from the parents tank.
Two small water changes have been done by now.

I had no more methyline blue so I used small doses of funguside to protect the eggs.
Out of the hundred only four of them fungused.

The eggs have hatched this morning and the fry are wiggling at the bottom still in the early process of digesting their yolk sacs.
In about 60 hours they should be free swimming and will be ready to eat newly hatched baby brine shrimps.
The first two weeks is the hardest part of their lives. Atfer that they are easy to raise.

More updates soon.
Last edited by NightwishRaven999 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightwishRaven999

Postby malakye » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Congrats on your spawning. Looking forward to updates.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:24 am

Here is the video I promised.
My kribensis spawning.

NightwishRaven999

Postby rosst » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 am

Firstly, - wonderful post, great info, pics and Vid. -

....I have a 'customer' who is planning to possibly breed Kribensis soon - he already has a Male (4") and I'm wondering whether to add 2 females or just the one - Chasing issues might be too much for 1 to handle,,,,?
If 2 were added and he paired up with 1female - obviously I could re-home one for him whilst the spawning took place.....possibly for good, as it would be bullied on her return. no doubt.

...Any advice would be appreciated.
rosst

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:49 am

Kribensis were the first Cichlids I have ever kept and since I was introduced to the fish keeping hobby, not one day has passed by were I did not have Kribensis in my tanks.
Pairs are fine and no chasing should occur.
The male is usually gentle towards the female and both get along perfectly.
One female should be sufficient.
This applies to 99% of Kribensis...some particular cases are bound to occur...like in all fish.

I would still go with only one female.
Last edited by NightwishRaven999 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightwishRaven999

Postby rosst » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:34 am

O.K ..... saves stressing one female out then.....Thanks. > hope to get a decent sized one soon.
rosst

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:38 am

Even though the females are smaller than the males there is normaly no agression.
Its not like the Apistogrammas, where small females will get beaten up by males.

A decent size Kribensis female is about 2" to 2 1/2"...you might have trouble finding anything bigger than that.

Dont worry, they will get along fine :)
NightwishRaven999

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 am

Here are my Kribensis fry after 8 days.
They are about 100 in the 5 gallon tank.
Daily water changes of 40% and feeding them 4-5 times a day with newly hatched baby brine shrimps and algae is nessecary to ensure growth and health.

NightwishRaven999

Next

Return to Fish Breeding