Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Aggressive Angelfish (solution/speculation)

Articles on general fish keeping

Re: Aggressive Angelfish (solution/speculation)

Postby EMc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:01 pm

I've only kept scalare, but I found them generally to be peaceful in community tanks- sometimes causing problems during spawning when hormones were raging. Then, only w/ other angels if more than one mated pair were present in a tank. Singularly, they were never a problem.

It's funny, tho'- their personalities could change. I once had two mated pairs that lived together w/o much problem, grew into lovely, large adults & frequently spawned (tho' I rarely saw fry & those were quickly gobbled up). One of the females was very dominate & aggressive. When her mate died, I was left w/ the trio & happily, they all lived together fairly well. The dominant female remained in that role- more aggressive to the other female than to the male. They all lived long lives & when the last male died, I was left w/ only the 2 females. Interestingly, the less dominate one became more dominate. The power shifted to complete equality.

I now have only one angel (Peruvian) which I kept w/ a juvenile Salvini cichlid for a while. In the beginning, the much larger angel was the dominant fish, but as the sal grew, his predator genes expressed themselves strongly & I had to move them into different tanks. I had hoped that they would manage to live together- it's a fairly long tank (4 foot) & well planted, w/ plenty of hiding spots/ shelter. But, that was not to be.
EMc

Previous

Return to Articles