Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Hatching Killifish Eggs

Articles on general fish keeping

Hatching Killifish Eggs

Postby malakye » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:33 pm

This is the way I have hatched my Gold Australe Lyretail eggs (Aphyosemion Australe) it worked for me but others have their own thoughts and suggestions on how to hatch them. Out of a batch of 20 eggs I had 17 hatch and raised to adulthood.

Put the eggs and peat into a bag big enough for you to tie and leave a good airspace, or failing the bag use an airtight container. Leave the bag or container somewhere warm, I put mine in the hood of the fishtank so it was kept warm from the light but where ever you decide make sure it sits at a steady temperature.
Shake the bag/tub gently over the next few days. Keep checking the eggs for them changing colour and you should see the eye of the baby fish, this is better seen using a magnifying glass.

Eggs will turn an amber colour

When the eggs have coloured and you can see the eye of the baby fish, pour the entire contents into a tub (with lid) and add approximately 3-5cm of water. I use water from my established tank for this and all water changes.
Use the lid to cover the top of the container but DO NOT click it right down, you want it loose so its easy to remove and so as air can circulate but without dust or foreign bodies getting into the water. You don't need an airstone of filter at this stage. Try to avoid temperature changes as that will kill the developing fry quicker than anything else. Hatching will take anything from a day to a couple of weeks.

Do small water changes every couple of days being careful not to catch any eggs or fry. I choose to drip line the water changes so as not to shock the fry. Sudden temperature changes will kill fry so by doing this method the fry are not being subjected to huge differences in temperature etc.
I moved the fry after a couple of days into a small tank with a sponge filter. I used a plastic spoon to scoop up the fry but be very gentle the fry are extremely small and you can crush them if you are not careful. Another option is to syphon them out, again being carefully.
Remember to leave the container with the eggs running for 2-3weeks as some eggs take longer than others to hatch.

Killifish and their fry are jumpers so at this stage I only filled the tank three quarters full until they got used to the routine of feeding and cleaning and weren't so easily spooked. I kept the bottom of the tank bare as it makes cleaning much easier, any left over food is easily seen and can be syphoned out.

Feed them using a mixture of freshly hatched brineshrimp and liquid fry, you can buy liquidfry from most fishstores make sure you buy the one for egg layers. We have an article for hatching brine shrimp in this section if you need help and advice on that. One tip I will tell you is to always mix liquidfry with some tank water in a cup before adding to the tank as I once had a bottle explode on me over the tank which almost wiped out a full batch of dwarf gourami fry.

Do weekly 10% waterchanges, what I did was to do a water change in my large tank, use that water to clean the sponges, then use fresh water from my large tank to top back up the small tank. You don't want the water too hot or too cold as again that is the biggest killer to killifry.
When they are big enough you can switch from liquidfry to crumbed foods but keep up the brineshrimp daily feeds until they are at least 6 month old.

One of my males now 8 month old and living in the community tank

copyright http://www.fishtankforum.co.uk
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Articles