[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Blood Worms vs Kribensis and other African Cichlids
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Blood Worms vs Kribensis and other African Cichlids

Articles on general fish keeping

Blood Worms vs Kribensis and other African Cichlids

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 pm

In the "Breeding Pelvicachromis Pulcher (Kribensis)" topic, I spoke briefly of the diet and foods eaten by Kribensis. I also inserted a small note saying that Bloodworms shouldnt be fed to Kribensis but didnt give a reason why.

Let me clear this up...
I didnt know if my case was particular or common, but I came across something that definatly confirmed what I had previously heard.

This is a quote taken from Wikipedia`s article of the Kribensis cichlid`s diet.

"Despite the suggestion in some aquarium literature that the species feeds on worms, crustaceans, and insects, analysis of the stomach contents of wild P. pulcher suggests this is incorrect. A study by Nwadiaro (1985) of 161 individuals showed that the main food items were diatoms, green algae, pieces of higher plants, along with blue-green algae. Invertebrates, though consumed, were found to be relatively uncommon food items for wild fish."

A few years ago, when I was into breeding Kribensis, I had a very misunforunate experience.
At the time I had two mature Kribensis and over a dozen young ones about to enter adulthood.
I discovered the hard way that Blood Worms and Kribensis didnt agree with one another.
I lost both adults and the entire lot of young ones overnight. None of the other fish were affected so at first I was very puzzled.
This happened a second time, but on a much smaller scale.
After asking around I was told that Kribensis along with other African cichlids couldnt digest bloodworms or other high protein foods.

This would seem logical since Mbunas and other African cichlids feed mostly on algea growths and plants. Worms and such do not orriginate in the deep african lakes or in the fast flowing west african rivers...so it would seem logical for Kribensis not to be able to digest these foods.

However, I have never had any bad experiences with Tubifex worms or Brine Shrimps...perhaps their protein content is lower ? :book:
Blood worms have proved deadly to my african cichlids, but beneficial to my other fish.
So if you have or are thinking of having Kribensis in the near future, be cautious of Blood worms and other high protein foods and as always...make reseach !

I had to learn the hard way...I hope you dont have to go through the same.

Has anyone else experienced any similar cases of diet related fish deaths ?
NightwishRaven999

Re: Blood Worms vs Kribensis and other African Cichlids

Postby POS_miniracer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:12 pm

I have experienced the dreaded bloat a couple of times in the past and have all but eliminated brine shrimp and blood worms from any of my Africans diets.
POS_miniracer

Postby Mick » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 am

Good post there Jordan, whatever fish I have kept the bloodworms has only ever been fed sparingly

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:34 am

I still have a package of frozen bloodoworms in my fridge...havent opened it in over two years.
The Kribensis are the only african cichlids in my tanks right now, so I dont dare trying it again.

The weird thing is...I never had problems with Brine Shrimps, Tubifex Worms, Krill or chopped Earth Worms.
NightwishRaven999

Postby superdart » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:43 pm

A while back when I was breeding a lot of Pelvicacromis species and Transvestites I fed live Glass worms and live Blood worms that I collected from a pond behind my parents house.I never had any problems at all with them and the fry when big enough to come off the Micro worms and dried stuff fed on live daphnia and cyclops until big enough to eat the larger Blood and Glass worms then the growth rate realy kicked off and I grew some realy large and healthy fish.The only fish that I need to feed Blood worms to now are the Achirus Achirus flattys and they will eat nothing else but them and finely chopped earth worms.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby yossarian » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:08 am

hey,
I have been having this trouble for a while, phantom deaths. The last time I almost gave up fish keeping, I thought i was cursed. The kribensis I bought was a beautifully vibrant female and I was worried, because I already had krib blood on my hands, but thought it was my water quality. I bought a lot of plants and two filters, kept a tight ship but then after 4 days she went from utterly lively fish to dead floating body. It wasn't until today that the new guy at the suppliers, (the old culprits having sold me the last two kribs), ok so this new guy decided to tell me that bloodworms harm kribensis. I swear that should be the first thing to say since bloodworms have to be the most popular food and kribs devour them therefore you dont put two and two together. There are a lot of care-sheets on kribs, Ive read about 10 but none tell me not to feed bloodworms, in fact they all tell me TO feed them bloodworms. I am sorry foremost to this vibrant little fish that i mistreated, i had never seen a fish so active. heartbreaking. I have just bought a painted face apistogramma so cannot go back to kribs, but I guess, like you say, at least now I know.
yossarian

Return to Articles