[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Bettas, Goldfish and Bowls (Opinion Text)
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Bettas, Goldfish and Bowls (Opinion Text)

Articles on general fish keeping

Re: Bettas, Goldfish and Bowls (Opinion Text)

Postby Pencil2Print » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Barry, I just edited my post above just as you posted. just FYI

and Edit: Judging by your post, I think you misunderstood me. I do NOT put them together in the same tank! That's bad. yes it is. I put them next to each other, separately, for a few mins.
Pencil2Print

Postby islabucasgrande » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:20 pm

For bettas, they don't deserve to be placed in a small bowl. You must always remind yourself of the “one-gallon-for-every-inch-of-fish rule”.
islabucasgrande

Postby malakye » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:34 pm

The act of keeping bettas in small half gallon bowls with the statement its fine so long as your breeding is simply wrong as was the statement of exercising them by putting them near each other, thats cruelty no matter how you look at it.

The "one inch rule" only works on certain fish and can not be taken as gospel.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackolas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:22 pm

I keep my Betta in a heated and planted 5 Gallon ish (22l) tank. He is so much more active and generally a completely different fish to the ones you see in the LFS in their tiny bowls. I think its completely cruel to house any fish in such environments.
Jackolas

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am

I am glad to hear that Jackolas.
These fish are often kept in horrible conditions, so its nice to hear about those, like you, who keep them in their own 5 gallon heated and planted tank.

You are right, its very cruel for fish to be housed in tiny bare tanks or bowls.
Unfortunatly most people do not see that as being abnormal.
Back in the 60s and 70s it was considered normal to keep goldfish in tiny bowls of water and perform daily 100% water changes. People didnt know better back then and very little info was available, so we cant blame them.

But to still see this happening today is totally unnaceptable !
To give you an example, in the past rodent owners used cedar and untreated pine shavings as bedding in rodent cages. They didnt pay attention to which wood was safe and which were unsafe and diet was very similar for all rodents.

But as we learned more about rodents and their needs, the way we keep them has changed. We now have standards for the size of cages, and although many rodents are still housed poorly...those standards have changed considerably over the years.

Cats and dogs no longer eat leftovers of meals, they are fed specific diets. And pets now have access to extensive veterinary care.

Fish on the other hand have always been the underdogs in this matter. Although the standards for keeping fish have changed considerably for advanced fish keepers, the general population still doesnt see an issue with keeping fish in tiny, bare aquariums.

Its in our very nature to demean creatures that dont breathe air like we do...especially if these creatures are small in size.
Since we cannot touch them and have contact with them like we would with a dog or a cat we immediatly assume that fish are unintelligent, boring creatures.

Personally I find it sickening to walk in a fish shop and see racks on Siamese fighters (bettas) kept in tiny plastic glasses. I also cant believe that some shops still sell half gallon tanks and fish bowls. We are in the 21st century...people need to wake up !

Unlike most other pets, fish are very often subject to poor treatment and poor living conditions. To most people, the important thing with fish is to keep them alive...if they die, you just flush them and replace them. This attitude is really sad.

While there are so many animals being abused around the world, there are many humans that take an active roll in speaking up for these poor creatures. Abuse among fish though, often goes ignored or unnoticed. If we would see a dog, cat, rodent, bird or some other animal being kept in less-than-humane conditions most of us would say something and try to contact local animal right authorities to alert them of the situation.

Fish on the other hand are constantly subject to abuse, whether through ignorance or intentional neglect. In the past people could get away with this...but today there is no excuse ! The internet is rampant with information on different fish species...and a vast amount of books have been published on different matters of fish keeping.

With sites like FTF, there is simply no excuse for people to keep their fish in poorly conditions.

If you happen to come across fish living in poor, crowded conditions...dont be afraid to say something !
People think of fish as being inferior, so you will get a few odd stares for trying to speak up for them and you will not doubt hear things like "its only a fish..."

If you know someone who is still keeping fish in those classic goldfish bowls...dont be scared to say something. Sometimes people just need a kick in the butt to wake up.
NightwishRaven999

Postby Jackolas » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:44 am

Couldn't agree more!
Jackolas

Postby xbeckieboox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:04 pm

My work colleague went out and bought her daughter one of those small plastic fish tanks for her birthday and she was sold 5 fancy goldfish to go in it, i think it was the ones with the large bubble cheeks.I couldnt belive the store actually sold her the fish.I told her that those fish will die as they are supposed to be housed in a large glass aquarium and definately not a very small plastic dora explorer pink tank.She said she had simply enquired about the fish and the saleperson agreed they would be suitable for the tank!! Ultimately they did die and they went back to the store armed with new knowledge and I believe they got thier money back.I also think that people who buy common plecs should be warned about the size and rate they could grow.I see loads of adverts for these fish for sale as they have outgrown their tank.I wish i had the time and money and space to set up a pleco rescue!
* Dont flush,give it to us!!*
xbeckieboox

Postby Jackolas » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Just seen this!

Some of these betta tanks are ridiculous!
Jackolas

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:16 pm

some are beyond ridiculous thats sheer madness, sad thing is some poor soul is going to buy those thinking they are great.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Articles