[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Bettas, Goldfish and Bowls (Opinion Text)
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Bettas, Goldfish and Bowls (Opinion Text)

Articles on general fish keeping

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:34 am

I have always found this strange, that Betta Splendens and Goldfish are most commonly housed in bowls or in very small aquariums.

But why ?

Is it because of their ability to breathe air like we do ?
After all, they are labirinth fish that can tolerate almost stagnant water.
But so do all other labirinth fish, most of them being gouramis.

You wont see Dwarf Gouramis or Snakeskin Gouramis in bowls or in aquariums smaller than 10 gallons. But why are bettas and goldfish kept like this ? Bowls and other little plastic tanks prohibit the use of a heater, which in fact is an important piece of equipment if you want your betta to be healthy and show off nice colors.

Bettas come from Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Southern China.
Damian wrote an article on bettas, so go and check it out for additional proof. These fish often live in hot bodies of water where temperature often reaches 80 F and above. Without a heater your little bowl or tank will never reach these temperatures and your betta will most often be dull in color and behavior.

Goldfish like their water in the 60s and low 70s, so the temperature in a bowl with no heater is fine but there is another issue that applies to both of these fish species.

Goldfish can get very big and even though your goldfish is small right now why would you keep him in a small tank and not put another fish his size in such an aquarium. Most goldfish sold are about 3 inches in lenght.
Goldfish are big and bulky, therefore their total mass is quite big.
It is not normal to keep such a fish in a 1, 2 or even a 3 gallon tank.
The same applies to betta splendens and all other tropical fish species.

Those of you who may have done this before but have realized how ironic it is and have transfered your fish into a bigger tank, know how much they appreciate the additional gallons of water.

Give your betta a 10 gallon tank, with a small filter, a heather, some sand or gravel, stones and lots of live plants. Bettas love plants so if you can, avoid getting plastic ones and get the real thing.

Sorry if this offended some of you.
As stated in the theme, this is only my opinion.
There is no proof or solid evidence presented here that can back my reasons for being against fish being kept in small tanks and bowls.

If you object, please do so tactfully.
NightwishRaven999

Re: Bettas, Goldfish and Bowls (Opinion Text)

Postby Mick » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:51 am

I agree entirely with you on this subject, bowls look great in one place, the bin :-):

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:53 am

LOL...thats one way to put it ;)
NightwishRaven999

Postby POS_miniracer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:09 pm

My odyssey into fish keeping started with one of those stupid 2 gallon bowls with a Beta. I still have that beautiful Beta but am proud to say that bowl has since been kicked to the curb.
My Beta now enjoys a conventional 5 gallon tank with a 3 stage filter rated for a 10 gallon tank, an air stone, a proper heater and a few Cory's.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:02 pm

I agree with you all. I find the whole betta and goldfish in bowls wrong.
My son has a betta, he started of life with us in a 5 gallon tank and is now in a 20 gallon with 3 male platy and 2 baby bristle nose plecs. He is so much happeir in the larger tank than he was even in the 5 gallon which he had to himself.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:31 am

Thanks for agreeing.
In my opinion, bettas should get nothing less than a 5 gallon tank.
Although anything better is preferable.

As for goldfish, they should have their own 20 gallon tank.
NightwishRaven999

Postby Seahawk7356 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:21 am

Agreed.
I have 2 Goldfish in a 15 gallon tank.
Don't worry, I'm saving up for a bigger one. :-):
Seahawk7356

Postby Platinum » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:46 pm

I agree Bettas live in Big rice paddies not in small water puddles!
Platinum

Postby Pencil2Print » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Pencil2Print

Postby Barry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:52 pm

my 2c.. People who place fighting fish together just for execise is wrong and cruel. You would not place two dogs who dont like each other in the same garden would you.
Barry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Articles