Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Fluval chi 19L. Stocking

If you are new to the hobby.

Fluval chi 19L. Stocking

Postby terri » Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi i bought a second hand fluval chi 19L already up and running for 3 months. It looks stunning and has 6 neon tetra and one other tiny fish. It might be a guppy but not sure. I would like to add one betta fish and 2 or 3 cherry shrimp to complete the tank. Is this too much for a 19 litre tank? The existing fish are happy so i don't want to do anything that would stress them. Appreciate your thoughts please.
terri

Re: Fluval chi 19L. Stocking

Postby Graeme » Thu May 05, 2016 6:37 am

Hello Terry

As a rough guide the maximum is a gallon per inch of fish so you are about on your max. You can add shrimp because they don't really add to the bio-load but another fish would take you over. If your filter is of a good capacity you could put a betta in and keep measuring the ammonia and nitrite levels to make sure the filter is coping.

Or you could start looking for a bigger tank! :-):

Regards

Graeme
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby terri » Thu May 05, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks for this. I had some tiny bubbles at the top of the tank to one side then lost my guppy, so only have the neons now. I won't add anything else until i have got to grips with proper maintenance. i take it when i feel more confident i could add a betta, given i have lost this one. the tetras all seem happy and i cleaned the tank 20% so the bubbles have now gone. I will keep a very close eye. Also, the filter needs changed so won't think about adding anything until the new one is established.
terri

Postby malakye » Fri May 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi terri and welcome.
I hate to disagree with Graeme but as your tank is only 19litres you are technically at your limit with the 6 neon. Adding a betta would over stock you and ideally a betta shouldnt be in less than 20 litres by themselves, yes people keep them in smaller tanks than that but they dont have a decent life. You could add cherry shrimp without any worries as like Graeme said they dont add to the bio-load. Shrimp and Betta arent the best mix. The betta would pick off the cherry shrimp, we tried with several different bettas when we had a collection of them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby terri » Fri May 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi thanks for response. So far so good with the neons and i think i will just keep them with some shrimp in view of your comments. I don't want to stress my fish or lose any more.
Thanks
terri

Postby malakye » Sat May 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Because you did have a death just do a couple of extra water changes this week and they should be fine.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat May 07, 2016 8:47 pm

malakye wrote:Hi terri and welcome.
I hate to disagree with Graeme but .....

Candise, you're the boss, you can disagree with who ever you like! :-):
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Return to Beginners