Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

DymaxIQ5

If you are new to the hobby.

DymaxIQ5

Postby GemGem » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 am

Hi! I recently bought my first fish tank, a Dymax IQ5. I bought it second hand and it came with no instructions. I have no idea how to set up the filter. There are 3 chambers, one wider than the other 2. The filter media that I bought says I need to remove the "trickle tray". I don't know what that is, but there's nothing in the tank I can remove. I have 3 bags of filter media I need to put somewhere and a pump with a long straw thing, I think where the air comes through. Can anyone tell me where I should attach this pump (it has suckers) and where the "straw" is supposed to go. Also how exactly to place the filter media. Sorry, I know I'm clueless.
GemGem

Re: DymaxIQ5

Postby Graeme » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello DymaxIQ5 and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the filter system in my old tank. If it is then one of the end chambers will have a hole at the top that the pump outlet fits in with the pipe down to the bottom of the chamber. All the chambers will fill up when you fill the tank. When you switch the pump on it will suck the water out from the bottom of the chamber and pump out into the tank. The chamber will be refilled by overflowing from the next chamber.

Post back if this is the case and we'll talk about the filter media.

Regards

Graeme
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby GemGem » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks so much Graeme! That really helped, I think I have the filter sorted now. It seems wrong to have a cable and electricals under water though! Also, I think I figured out the filter media issue. My tank didn't come with the black sponge that is meant to go at the bottom and it also didn't have a trickle tray. I'm going to buy the sponge, but unfortunately the trickle trays are not sold separately. I hope it will still work. Thanks for your helpful reply :)
GemGem

Postby malakye » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Sounds like Graeme has you sorted and I am sure if you need any more help we will be able to do so.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:26 pm

You're welcome GemGem. Sorry to get your name wrong!

What does the trickle tray do?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby GemGem » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:02 am

Thanks Malakye!
No problem Graeme ;) Apparently it disperses the water more evenly to the filter chamber. It kind of spreads the water out.
GemGem

Return to Beginners