[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Lights, low light, no lights
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Lights, low light, no lights

If you are new to the hobby.

Lights, low light, no lights

Postby Bedbug » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:20 am

Most info in lighting is connected with plants. My questions are concerns of the fish.
First the tank I was given has a standard "1 LED" night light under the light hood so when the lights go off the night light comes on. Should a tank have some light 24/7 ? I am in the 16th floor, the parking lot lights reflect of the white ceiling so I can walk around with no lights on at night.
Second My tank is at right angle to the north facing window, and I can see the fish with out the main light on. When I got the tank the timer was set for 16 hours of light It has about 30 LEDs, I covered half of the LED because I felt it was to bright, and cut the time down to 6 hours in the evening. Do fish require this light or is it just so I can see the fish?
Bedbug

Re: Lights, low light, no lights

Postby Graeme » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:25 am

I've never heard of providing night lighting except maybe to simulate the moon in a very advanced setup. That would require a very specific colour of light. Most fish won't be too bothered about the lighting it's more for plants and for us! Is this the tank with the Tetras in?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:25 pm

I would turn the night light off, the fish dont need it. As for the timer on your second tank, turn that down to about 8-10 hours, as that is the maximum you need or you will start getting algae issues. Fish actually don't need light, it is for us and for plants but they do appreciate it.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bedbug » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:34 am

Yes Graeme this is the tetra tank. I had covered about half the lights and set timer for 6 hrs. in evening.
As malakye suggested I will cut the other tank light back from 12 to 6 hrs also.
I have a tank on each side if the TV. Fish more entertainment than most on TV. I hooked my computer up to the TV, so I have a 3 ft. wide monitor.

Thanks all BMB
Bedbug

Postby Graeme » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Bedbug » Fri May 08, 2015 5:39 am

I have both tanks set on 6 hours now. The algae problem in practically gone.

Even with half the LED covered the Cory's seam to stay in the weeds so to speak. Have put the night light back in place, Turning off the main light after 6 hours and leaving the night lights on two hours longer and adding sinking algae or shrimp wafer brings them out.
Bedbug

Postby Graeme » Tue May 12, 2015 6:55 am

Are your Corys getting braver yet?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Bedbug » Thu May 14, 2015 7:50 pm

I have the both night lights in a timer from noon to midnight. They have 2 LEDs in each. The bright lights (20 LEDs) I turn on about 3 PM until about 9.
The The Corys in with the Serpae are out and about most if the time the bright lights are not on.
The Corys in with the black widows only come out after the bright lights go off, and at that time I add sinking algae or shrimp wafer to the tanks. This is also the tank with the eggs on the glass.
Bedbug

Return to Beginners