Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

stinky tank

If you are new to the hobby.

stinky tank

Postby SammieAnn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi,
My name is Sam. I'm hoping you can help me. I was given two tanks some time ago but have only now been able to set them up. One tropical, one cold water. I'm very new to this as having only kept fairground fish a lot of years ago. They lived for years and grew huge, they were fab.
I have set both tanks up, without fish for now until they settle. The cold water tank is fine but the tropical one has the most awful chemical smell. I bought a new Marina filter ( only small one as tank is only 20litres) I rinsed it as instructed but the smell is awful. The tank consists of new gravel, fully rinsed before going in; two ornaments and small plants also rinsed, although must have missed a bit as inherited a snail! ( snail now in cold water tank). Also in there is the heater, the pump and a pump that is built into the hood but doesn't filter just circulates the water. I've also treated the water with stress coat as instructed at the pet shop. Any ideas as to what could be causing the chemical smell.

I have tonight changed all the water rinsed everything and started again but the smell is still there a bit.

I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Sam.
SammieAnn

Re: stinky tank

Postby malakye » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi Sam and welcome to the forum. My first thought is there was something in the tank before you set it up. By the sounds of things there is plenty of water flow but as to where the smell is coming from it is a game of investigating whether it is coming from the gravel, filter, ornament or indeed the tank itself. I am sorry I cant be of more help. What you could do is get some milton seralizing fluid and wash the tank with that, use it to clean the gravel and wipe down the outside of the filter, just make sure you rinse things really well afterwards
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners