Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Newbie in turmoil!

If you are new to the hobby.

Newbie in turmoil!

Postby Pangeata » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi there, Finally decided to join the forum as I have been searching on the internet almost 6 hours a day for the last couple of weeks following an accident....
I had my first tank, 60 litre, for about 16 months with 4 Golden Cloud Minnows, 4 Neon Tetras (which are being treated for a fungal infection ) and hundreds of Red Cherry/Sakura shrimp and a few live plants. For about a year we also had a 25 litre tank with a Siamese Fighter and four Mollies which died (seemingly of natural causes, not sure how long they normally live but they seemed healthy...).
When my four year old said she wanted to spend her xmas money on a new Bluey ( Fighter ) I decided to buy a larger tank off ebay more suited ( shallow and long... ).
Now the disaster - we cleaned the tank outside and when I was carrying it back through the house the bottom corner hit my 60 litre on the edge of mine which cracked about 2.5" across the front :cry:
In a panic I assumed the new tank was no good, as the glass had crunched on the corner, so quickly cleaned my empty 25 litre and got my fish and some of the shrimp into it with gravel and water from the tank. Then went to the local Tip shop and luckily got an amazing 160 litre tank for £20!!! And yes it is water tight!
I decided to go for a more natural set up with this so have added a soil substrate with Gravel on top, used some water, filter media and gravel from the old tank and added more plants... I left it for 3 days and ammonia and Nitrate tests came back as ok ( not zero but acceptable ) so I got my minnows in and did large water changes every day. A couple of days later I added as many of the shrimp I could get out of my old tank, which amazingly were ok considering they had no heater or filter in the damaged tank (water emptied to below the crack). A week later and they are all doing really well.
After I'd calmed down I realised that the 100 litre tank I bought off Ebay is actually fine as the silicone is still intact. So we have set this up with soil and gravel and all the tacky fun decorations the kids have collected...

Problem.... The tetras are still in the the 25 litre tank as it is easier to treat them, and they are recovering really well, but I don't have another heater/filter and have already spent a lot of money on 2 tanks, soil and lots of extra gravel and a filter for my 160. My daughter is desperate for her fish ( she's 4, she's already had to wait a month since I agreed she could have her fish! ), do I put the tetras in with the minnows and see how they do and let her get her fish? Bearing in mind that one of the minnows is a bit of a bully is chases all the fish around a fair bit..... I'm worried the tetras will be stressed and go downhill again, and also I don't really want to mess about putting fungal treatment in the new big tank. Fish/daughter/fish/daughter???!!! :blue:

Any advice would be gratefully received
Pangeata

Re: Newbie in turmoil!

Postby malakye » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:05 pm

hi and welcome to the forum.
I am surprised you were able to get away with adding anything to the tank after only 3 days after adding soil, usually the stats are through the roof with ammonia, nitrites etc. Keep a close eye on them because they can swing really quickly. You really would have been safer to have waited until the readings were 0 as anything else can lead to issues like fungal disease etc and the last thing you want after treating your other fish. I dont mean that to sound harsh just don't want you having to deal with more ill fish. Would love to see pictures of your tanks as I love shrimp set ups.
Personally I would wait another few days until the tetra are fully recovered before you move them over but what about putting the fighter in with the minnows and leaving the tetra until they are recovered then moving them into the larger tank. That way you could add something else in with them.
Going back to your old fighter and mollies, mollies require a higher pH than betta and 25litres really was too small for a single molly never mind 4, they are really active fish and require a fair bit of swimming space.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pangeata » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi Malakye, Thanks for your welcome, I'm really looking forward to being able to chat to people about this! I am doing fairly big water changes every day on the two tanks with fish in to be on the safe(er) side... I know it's not ideal but I didn't know what else to do, I knew having 8 fish in the 25 litre was really bad so took the risk. I know now that the beta + 4 Mollies was bad and wouldn't make the same mistake again ( I hope ). I hadn't thought of putting the Betta in the big tank with the minnows, do you think it would get too stressed if I did that then later moved him into the kids 100lt once the tetras are better and I get the heater swapped over?
I don't have a Nitrite test kit, just Ammonia and Nitrate, but I am planning to take samples to the pet store to get checked tomorrow and make sure my readings are correct, I'll let you know the results.
Hubby is a Photographer so ( although he doesn't want anything to do with the fish that are taking over his house! ) hopefully I can get him to take some pics I can put on here... I do love my shrimp! I forgot to say I have 1 lonely Otto left too and I'm going to get more when the tank is more mature! The marine tank I'm mainly thinking of more inverts and soft corals, not sure if I can set up the 60lt if I can get it patched up, but that might be an option..
Pangeata

Postby malakye » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:30 pm

I have kept a betta in with minnows and they were fine, so yes you could do that and then move it over once the tetra are better, just make sure you acclimatise it because the water stats could be different.
Invest in a full kit, I swear by the API kits for freshwater, (they are useless with marines) just make sure you follow the instructions properly as its easy to get a false 0 for nitrates if you dont.
60litres would be a better option for marines, just take it really slowly because nothing good happens fast with a marine tank. I have one marine tank that is home to a couple of lionfish but will be getting a second tank for those and going full reef with smaller fish soon (ish) I do love marines they do become addictive lol.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pangeata » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Thats really helpful thanks, I have a full API test kit in my saved list on Amazon for when I get some money... I would have bought the same for marine so thanks for the heads up :-)
Pangeata

Return to Beginners