Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Heating Issues

If you are new to the hobby.

Heating Issues

Postby chrisbham » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi all,

Hope your all well.

For Christmas I had a tank bought for myself (my first one) and since then the the filters etc have been running for it to go through a couple of cycles.

Anyhow last week I decided I wanted to go for tropical fish and on Friday I installed a heater. I could see it was slowly getting warmer after setting the temperature to 25 on the heater (i have been reading and it seems the temp should be 23-26 ish). After 24 hours or of the temperature set at 25 the thermometer was showing around 19-20. Therefore, last night before I went to bed i turned it up to it up to 27 and got up this morning and its showing about 22 now. I have looked at the heater and it has turned it self off and will only turn back on once its back at around 25 or so. Therefore, according to the heater the water is about 25-26 at the moment, which seems a decent temp (please tell me if I am wrong). And the light will only come on when I go past this temp. But the thermometer is only showing 22 still. Is it normal for a thermometer to be a few degrees out and does it sound like the water is enough for some fish now?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I am ready for my fish now.
chrisbham

Re: Heating Issues

Postby Big Den » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:14 am

Hello and welcome. What you refer to as 'cycles' sound like you are just running the filter with fresh water running through it. Have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23 it may give you a better understanding of the process. The heater/thermostats are notorious for being inaccurate, don't rely on the setting on the heater, get yourself a reliable thermostat and test the temp yourself.
Big Den

Re: Heating Issues

Postby superdart » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:16 am

I have found over the many years of setting heater-stats up they very rarely give a temperature that they are "set" at.It's all down to fine tuneing until you get the right temp.verified by an acurate separate thermometer.Always make sure that the heater-stat is on an angle and in reasonable flow to get a good result.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Return to Beginners