Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Board under cabinet

If you are new to the hobby.

Board under cabinet

Postby MaccGaz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:16 pm

I've bought a Roma 200 aquarium / cabinet. It all looks good so far... Except that I didn't get all of he supplies in the delivery so can't start it up yet! Doh.

Anyway, I was a bit concerned about he cabinet. I'm sure it can hold the weight, but I don't like the idea that all of the weight comes down on just the sides of the cabinet and so 2 floorboards.

I was thinking of putting a board down underneath it so that the weight can be distributed over a larger distance, but I don't know what type of wood or the thickness which would be right for the job.

Has anyone got any recommendations for me and is it a good idea?

Thanks advance.
MaccGaz

Re: Board under cabinet

Postby Graeme » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:39 am

18mm marine ply would probably do it.

Which way do the joists go under the floorboards? If they go from side to side (floorboards going front to back) then you haven't got a problem.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 am

You have nothing at all to worry about. Consider that a wooden floor is designed to take weight in excess of 25 stone and your tank/cabinet is nowhere near this weight, plus you will be putting it near a wall where the floor is the strongest.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:29 pm

I had a 5x2x2 tank on my floors and still have a 4ft and a 3x2x2 and 2 smaller tanks in my living room, honestley you dont have to worry about it.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MaccGaz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. For some reason, I was thinking about it all wrong!

Looking at the front of the cabinet, the joists go back to front and then the floorboards go left to right. Each side should rest on 3 or 4 floorboards, lying on top of 3-5 joists (nearby) - all right next to the outside wall.

The tank is probably 250kg, shared evenly is 125kg per side. So it's the equivalent of almost 20 stone per side and the floorboards are essentially doing what the board I was planning was going to do anyway!

I think I'll just go as it is. I thought it was a bit strange to produce a cabinet like that if there were concerns the average home would hold the weight. I guess there was nothing to worry about.
MaccGaz

Return to Beginners