Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Cabinet Size

If you are new to the hobby.

Cabinet Size

Postby MaccGaz » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi all,

I've decided that I'd like to add a tropical fish tank into my house. I was looking for one about 100cm as I think that should give me space for a variety of fish without being a huge investment.

My aim was to put it in the kitchen, where I have an L shaped breakfast bar/kitchen units and then a free wall away from everything that would be good for the tank.

However, all of the work surfaces are 90cm high and all typical tanks + cabinets have the cabinets at 70-74cm high plus maybe a 55cm tank.

So I'm thinking that a typical tank would be too low - particularly as it will be in the kitchen which has no seating so you might have to bend over a bit to see everything properly.

My questions are:
1) Has anyone else got a 125-135cm cabint + tank in a standing room and is it too low?
2) Is anyone aware of tanks which have a slightly taller cabinet? Maybe 80-85cm?
3) The other thing I could do is build a 10-15cm base for the cabinet to sit on. I'm new to DIY but it doesn't sound too difficult! Has anyone done anything similar? My concern is obviously that I end up damaging the tank.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
MaccGaz

Re: Cabinet Size

Postby Big Den » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Building a base for the cabinet to sit on has the advantage of allowing you to get it perfectly level. Build the plinth using 4x2 or 6x2 and sit the cabinet on top, easy peasy :ok:
Big Den

Postby malakye » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Merry christmas to you as well.
As Den said you can build a plinth to raise the cabinet height easily and you don't have to be an expert at DIY to do that. We had to do that at one stage ourselves for the same reason as you stated.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MaccGaz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. In the end I've gone for the lounge instead!
MaccGaz

Return to Beginners