Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

i need help

If you are new to the hobby.

i need help

Postby david » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:45 am

ok so i have a 20 gallon high tank and have been taking in abused fish and fish that were in to small of a tank and other stuff.i started off with a molly and a bristle nose pleco and my stock grew.here's the stock i have now.
10 red eye tetras.
6 lemon tetras
6 cories
3 otos
2 platy
1 albino bristle nose pleco
1 molly.

i have penguin bio wheel 150,and a penguin bio wheel 200.

i do 2 10 gallon water changes a week but i can do 3 if i have to.
are my fish es ok?i love them so much and i want the best for them.
david

Re: i need help

Postby Graeme » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:27 pm

1 gallon of water per inch of fish is a good rough guide. You appear to have about 30 inches of fish there so you're well overstocked. I would back off the 50% water changes to 25-30% and keep an eye on your ammonia levels.

Any chance you can get hold of another tank from somewhere?

Sounds like an excellent rescue mission you have there.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Graeme
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi, as Graeme pointed out you are overstocked so do not add any more fish to the tank. I also agree with Graeme that you would be better to cut back the water changes to around 25% you can do more than one a week if there is an issue but too large a change can shock the fish. I would stick to the 2 a week and see how it goes. Invest in a test kit so you can keep and eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels, you want 0 readings on ammonia and nitrite and keep the nitrates below 40. I use the API freshwater tests and have found them to be one of the best for freshwater tanks.
If you can think about an upgrade in the size of the tank although we realise its not always possible to do so.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garsiyra » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:31 am

I think the creativity.
Garsiyra

Return to Beginners