Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

newby/advice

If you are new to the hobby.

Re: newby/advice

Postby pete » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:25 am

just been looking different tanks and if i could get a bigger tank (Measurements W100 x D40 x H55cm. From base to just under lid approx. H50cm)what would be the benefits from the other tank and am i right that u shouldnt place a fish tank near a radiator
pete

Postby Big Den » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:48 am

The tank is bigger so the benefits are clear, definitely do not place an aquarium near a radiator!
Big Den

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Bigger is better when it comes to tanks. One of the best quotes I heard years ago was that "the solution to pollution is dilution", meaning more water means ammonia etc is diluted more giving you more time to put things right. If something goes wrong in a smaller tank it happens quickly.
Yes you are right the tank should never be near a radiator.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pete » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:33 pm

ok thank you for all the advice. ill be getting the bigger tank :).
just one last thing whats your thoughts about air pumps and co2 kits are they needed
pete

Postby malakye » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:55 pm

I always added an air pump and stone in all of my tanks, the bubbles break the surface and help with oxygenation. I have never run co2 on any of my tanks. If you are keeping hardy, easy grow plants then you don't need them. Just add liquid fertiliser plant food once a week.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pete » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:09 am

ok thank you so much for the help and advice
pete

Previous

Return to Beginners