Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Office Aquarium

If you are new to the hobby.

Office Aquarium

Postby CuriousGeorge » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:29 am

Hi All

I'm completely new to aquarium fish keeping.

I have a 1000 litre fish pond in my garden with a number of varieties of gold fish filtered by an oase pressurized canister filter.

My boss came round for a BBQ a few weeks back, having seen my pond, has decided to put my in charge of the aquarium in the company's office reception. :ye:

At the moment its in a sorry state, there are no fish - have been previously but soon died.
The tank as about 125 litres. Has old fashioned fluorescent tubes that don't work, an air pump and a few other bits and pieces.

My plan is a tropical aquarium.
Substrate and sand ( i would like a few catfish)
Around 5 or 6 plants live plants
Filtered by a Fluval 206 or 306 canister filter
Eheims jager heater
New fluorescent tubing.

My biggest worry is cycling the tank.
I really don't want any fatalities especially with the aquarium being at work.

So i was thinking of using my filter in my garden pond to help me.
My thinking was to put the new filter media from the aquarium filtration system into my pond filter (alongside the media that's already in there) in the hope that bacteria will quickly grow and transfer to the aquarium filter media
After about 3 weeks when i have finished setting up the the aquarium including plants, transfer the new media back from my pond into the aquarium.
Then introduce 2-3 hardy fish for about a month whilst continuously monitoring the water.
Then finally adding more fish
Appreciate any thoughts on using my pond filter and any ideas to help? (i really want zero fatalities)

I'm also undecided between use a fluval 206 or 306, i would like to over filter if possible - go for the 306 - though would this create too much flow for the fish in a 125 litre tank?

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks
CuriousGeorge

Re: Office Aquarium

Postby POS_miniracer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Using established media from another tank (or in your case pond) is a great way to jump start or clone a tank. I've done it at least a dozen times.

I'm also a fan of over or redundant filtration and have had 305's and 405's on 40 gallon tanks with no problems. I think it really comes down to the species you intend to keep and the conditions/flow they prefer. I should add though that I'm not too impressed with the 06 series from Fluval and I've been a Fluval fan for years. To me they don't seem nearly as well made as the previous series.
POS_miniracer

Re: Office Aquarium

Postby superdart » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:24 pm

I would use a 306 with a spray bar that has its holes drilled out to 4mm or 5mm dia that will keep the lph flow rate but reduce the pressure and velocity on the outlet....That's what I use on my 405's and Eheim 2217's.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Return to Beginners