Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

I could do with some help please!

If you are new to the hobby.

I could do with some help please!

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi

Around 3 weeks ago I was given a fish tank from a friend. If I didn't take it then she said she was going to 'dump' it. So I took it off her including the fish that were already in the tank.

I'm worried about the amount of fish I have in there and about a bristle nosed plec that is in there. I asked on another forum about this but I lied and said I was just looking after them for a friend as I didn't want people to think I was a bad fish owner!

The tank is a coldwater tank and having done some research I have now found out that plecs are not supposed to be in cold water tanks. This plec has been in there for 2 years. There is also 5 goldfish.

I think the tank is 70L although I am not completely sure on that. Here is some pictures.

[IMG]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qpid60&s=8#.VA23jPmVNNM[/IMG]

[IMG]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2v1ngjr&s=8#.VA23ZPmVNNM[/IMG]

[IMG]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2yn48rl&s=8#.VA23_vmVNNM[/IMG]

I think that I might be over stocked and I just want to do what's right by the fish. I think I may be a little bit out of my depth with it all. So if anyone could offer me some honest opinions I would be very grateful!

Thank you for reading!

Re: I could do with some help please!

Postby Big Den » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi, welcome. Those links are not working but bristlenose plecs will live okay in room temperature water as long as it doesn't drop too low.
Big Den

Re: I could do with some help please!

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi and welcome, don't worry we would never think you are a bad fish keeper, the fact you have joined a forum to ask for help shows you are not.
Are the goldfish common single tail or fancy oranda type? As Den said your links are sadly not working. You are pushing the limits even with the smaller oranda type as they require 5 gallons per fish and yours is only 15 gallon (roughly)so if you can get a larger tank it would be better.
Bristlenose can work in a cold water tank (again as Den said) so long as the temperature doesn't drop too low. I have a couple in my fantail tank. As you said they have been in there for a while they are obviously used to the slightly lower temperatures, just keep an eye on the temps overnight as winter approaches but if you have central heating they are usually ok.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners