Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

What tank mates can I add?

If you are new to the hobby.

What tank mates can I add?

Postby Grinch123 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Hello all,

Eve though I'm not totally new to the fish world, I do have limited knowledge. I've recently upgraded to a fluval Roma 200 from a 75l tank and transferred my fish. I am now looking to add some new fish and was wondering whether certain fish would go well with them. I currently have:

X2 angelfish
X2 Cory's
X2 glass fish (look like skeletons)
Gibbocet
Clown loach
Silver dollar
Albino red fin shark
Platy

Firstly Is this a good group of fish? Pets at home sold them to me at separate times saying they'll all get on, but since using a local shop he said it was an "aggressive tank." I haven't ever seen any kick offs in the tank lol.

Also, what fish could I add to them? I love the idea of an eel, is there any people suggest? Also like elephant nose fish or black ghost fish, arowana and other 'weird looking' fish. Suggestions on other fish are also welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Adam
Grinch123

Re: What tank mates can I add?

Postby Graeme » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 am

It doesn't look particularly aggressive to me. But you will always get more peaceful or more aggressive individuals what ever the general reputation is. Sounds like your group are getting on ok.

A lot of the Loaches are eel like. You can check them out in the freshwater fish profiles here:

viewforum.php?f=109

Your Clown loach won't like being on his own.

I haven't done the maths on your total fish length but you can go to about 40" as a rough guide.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Graeme » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:12 am

And welcome to the forum! :-):
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Adam welcome. You have a strange collection of fish there and your tank is going to be too small for them. I'm assuming you mean 'Gibbicep' which are commonly known as 'plecos', these get very big and 200 litres is not going to be enough, even for it alone! The clown loach also gets to well over 10", the silver dollar to 8", the angels to more than 6", the red fin shark is also going to be a large fish. The 'Gibbiceps' are also a very big waste producer so your filtration will need to be able to cope with it. Don't go thinking they will only grow to the size of your tank because that is a myth, I rescued a Gibbicep recently that was kept in a 90 litre and it was over 12" and very poorly. I would suggest that you consider changing the big fish for something more in keeping with the size of tank you have.
Eels also get quite large, elephant nose are not easy to keep, neither are the black ghost fish, which is a predator. Totally forget Arowana :sto: unless you have a tank in excess of 1000 litres and at least 30" wide and 7 feet long. The other fish you have are okay though. :-):
Big Den

Postby Grinch123 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks very much for all the advice. If I get another clown loach will there be a chance they won't get on? What with the size difference etc? Also, is there any type of fish that could go with my existing? The more eye catching/interesting/'weird' te better.

Thanks in advance,
This looks like an awesome place to get advice and who knows, maybe give advice in the future
Grinch123

Postby Big Den » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:37 am

Clown loach are best kept in goups of 3 or more, they swim together and rest in hiding places alongside each other. I have 3 that are around 6 to 7 inches and spend most of their time, during the day, in an artificial log, they are most active at night. But as I said before, your tank will be too small, eventually, to accommodate any more fish.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:29 pm

As Den said your tank is too small for the gibbiceps plec, a better choice would be a bristlenose plec. Cory catfish are better in groups of at least 4 and of the same type as they dont do well is small numbers, they prefer groups. The glass catfish should be kept in groups of at least 4 as they do better in groups as well.
The shark will end up being aggressive as it gets larger so be aware of that. Silver dollars get large as well so you might be better to rehome those and the clown loaches as they need much larger tanks. Sorry to say pets at home have given you poor advice.
If you want a strange looking fish that would go with the fish you already have what about a farlowella catfish, they are strange looking things but peaceful.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners