Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

hi all new to the site advice please

If you are new to the hobby.

hi all new to the site advice please

Postby chrisvicki1501 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi everyone new to the site. :D

looking for some advice.

ive got a 3 gallon hex shaped tank its about 2 an a half foot tall.

ive had it running for 3 weeks now and the water is crystal clear. i put two red and white fan tails in with in at the end of the first week, and a black moore the second week. and i just put six small danio in yesterday. ive read a few things on line and is it over crowned?

my filter is rated and 150L an hr so it cycles the whole tank 120 time in 24 hrs.

the only other things in the tank is a Plastic tree and a bridge.

any advice would be great

cheers guy
chris
chrisvicki1501

Re: hi all new to the site advice please

Postby Big Den » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Yes it is over crowded, 1 fantail requires at the very least, 5 gallons of water. The fact that you have a large filter will compensate for the lack of tank water to some extent but only slightly. Crystal clear water can contain arsenic, you'd only know when you drank it, and died, what I mean to say is, clear water means nothing, it could be full of ammonia or nitrites, the only way to know for sure how good the water is, is to test it with a liquid test kit. The 6 small danios are about what the tank will sustain.
Big Den

Postby chrisvicki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi sry for the mix up typeo my tank is 6.5 uk gallon 30 liters so is this syill over stocked.

Chris
chrisvicki

Postby Big Den » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 am

Afraid so Chris, fantails and black moors are basicly 'goldfish' and grow quite large, it wouldn't be kind to contain them in such a small space.
Big Den

Postby chrisvicki » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:10 am

hi there

i tested my water and nitres are low very low and so is ammonia. there is plenty of room for them and there only small about 1" and a half.

what would you recommend me keep in this tank as i dont want to stress my fish out.

chris
chrisvicki

Postby malakye » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:43 pm

As Den said each fantail goldfish (including moors) require 5 gallons of water per fish, goldfish are extremely messy fish and produce a lot of waste. Danios are active fish and require a lot of swimming space. Really a tank that is only 6 gallons should only have one fantail in it regardless of how big or small the fish is. Your ammonia and nitrite should be reading 0 anything higher than this and you will have to do extra water changes to bring them back down to 0.
You said your tank is 2.5ft high, if you give me the exact measurements of height and assuming all the sides are the same size one of those or if they are different I will need a longer and shorter measurement I can check what your actual capacity is.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners