Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

New tank

If you are new to the hobby.

New tank

Postby bearfish » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:04 pm

HI

I have a new tank 25L, it's been running fishless cycle for nearly a week now. Brand new filter medium, gravel, combo of plastic and live plants. On advice I added one capsule of Bactozym which sent the water cloudy and then clear as per the instructions.

The API test results are PH 7.6, High PH 8.0, Amonia 0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between 20-40.

What should I expect in the next week by way of test results?
What frequency should I do each test for the best results?
I have samples of stress coat and stress zyme should I use them?
Should I add another Bactozym?

When would you suggest I do a water change (was planning on adding 25% water from an established tank to the new tank to maybe gee things along a bit)

Finally - The tank appears to have a 10W bulb which seems extremely bright, will this light be OK for Zebra danios, albino cory cats and a pleco? I am worried it will be to bright for them especially as they are coming from a very dirty unlit tank.

Many thanks
bearfish

Re: New tank

Postby malakye » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:12 pm

You want the ammonia and nitrite to be at 0, nitrate keep below 40. Because your tank is really small and your overstocked already with danios, corys and a plec I would be looking at investing in a larger tank, in the mean time do a couple of water changes a week as if things start going wrong they will go quickly out of control. There is no need to use water from an established tank, water contains very little of anything to gee the tank along. Its the filter which keeps the tank healthy and is home to the bacteria needed to keep it healthy.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bearfish » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 am

They are rescue fish that came to me in a 17L tank. I hope to end up with a much larger tank but I am worried about putting my 5 tetras in with them as the Zebras seem a little agressive.

I shall do the water changes and keep an eye on things. I'm not expecting the fish to be moved to the new tank for a few more weeks.

I am still not sure what sort of plec I have, what type is mainly black with a very few pale spots. It has pretty fins and a big wide 'smiley' type face. Is it the same type as 'Candise'?
bearfish

Postby malakye » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:43 pm

the one in my signature banner is a bristlenose female, she was 3inches fully grown. Google common plec or gibbiceps plec and have a look at those too, if it is either common or gibbi I would advise you to rehome it cause they get huge.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners