Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Beginner Help for 140l tank.

If you are new to the hobby.

Beginner Help for 140l tank.

Postby SarahKay13 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi everyone, :bye:

My partner and I have recently bought a second hand 140 litre tank and want to fill it with beautiful and colourful fish!

Our set up so far is as follows:
140 litre tank,
Aquarium EXF1000 external filter (too big?)
Aquarium AH-300w heater.

We have two bulb slots free in the lid of the tank and have heard that a power-glo fluorescent and marine bulb will enhance the colours of the fish. Is it recommended to have one of each?

The fish that have caught our eyes most of all are cichlids but I have heard that some can grow far too big for a 140 litre tank and I don't fancy the idea of having to re-home any of the little fellas once they are here.

We also love the look of red thai crabs but have also heard that most people advise not to have crabs in with any fish at all?

I'm wondering if you could give me some advice on what you believe would be a nice list of fish to include in our tank. Doesn't have to be limited to cichlids!

Thanks in advance.
SarahKay13

Re: Beginner Help for 140l tank.

Postby malakye » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:28 pm

If you want a selection of fish rather than one specific species you could go for a community tank and have smaller fish like neons/cardinals, rummy nose, platy corydoras and a bristlenose for an algae eater.
Or for a more specific set up you could have a killifish set up.
Or if you really do like cichlids what about a group of shell dweller cichlids, they stay small and live in shells (hence their name) they are lovely little fish and breed in their shells.
It really depends on what you like.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners