Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

help with new tank

If you are new to the hobby.

help with new tank

Postby misty08 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi all
I am new to all this so need as much help as possible please. I went to my local pet store o Saturday to get a tank for cold water fish. I came out with a 28litre tank and 2 goldfish. I was told to wash stones throughly then fill tanks and put tapesafe in it. the a few hours later I could put the fish In. I have a good size filter an an aie curtain of bubble. After 2 days my tank is starting to go cloud. What can I do to fix this?
Thanks
misty08

Re: help with new tank

Postby Big Den » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 am

Have a read through this article viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22 it may give you an idea of what's going on in your tank.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Misty, I am sorry to say your petstore has given you really bad advice.
Goldfish are messy fish and require a much bigger tank. If they are fantail goldfish they will need a minimum of 5 gallons each, if its common goldfish they require a minimum of 10 gallons each. Your tank is about 6 gallon.
Your tank was not ready for fish, if you go to that link Den gave it gives you information about doing a cycle with fish. You are however going to have to upgrade your tank.
Don't panic though we will help you through it.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby misty08 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 pm

Thank you for your help. I am gonna get a tesy kit tomorrow. my neighbour keeps goldfish. So I am gonna ask her I she has space for them before I go back to the pet store. As I don't have space for a big tank.
misty08

Postby malakye » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Or even ask your neighbour if she can take just one of them and that way you can keep the other yourself.
When it comes to test kits liquid tests are more accurate than strip which are notoriously wrong. Ebay is usually cheaper for test kits than pet stores.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners