Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Absolute beginner with a few questions...

If you are new to the hobby.

Absolute beginner with a few questions...

Postby GaryM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 am

Hi, we've recently bought a 40 litre panorama fish tank set for cold water from pets at home.
It comes with two led strip lights, one white and one dim blue. I take it daytime and nighttime?
How long should we leave each light on?

Currently in the tank we have three small live plants, three danios, two platys, 5 shrimp and two snails. Does that sound ok for a 40l tank?

I took a water sample into pets at home over the weekend to test and it was all well within limits. Will get my own test kit soon so I can self test too.
I think I'll get a small piece of bogwood this weekend as it makes a nice feature.

Thanks for any help.
GaryM

Re: Absolute beginner with a few questions...

Postby andy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi and welcome.

To be honest, i turn my trop tank on and off when i feel like it...sometimes it goes on at 11 in the morning, sometimes at 3 in the afternoon. Sometimes i turn it off at 11pm, sometimes at 2am.

Ideally, you want to be looking at around 8-10 hours a day.

Just a comment, might be worth adding a heater. Platies and (in my opinion) Danios should be kept at tropical temps, not cold water.
andy

Postby GaryM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Andy, thanks for replying.
The 40l panorama aquarium also came with a heater which I didn't use due to the sales guy telling me both platys and danios could live well in cold water.
How would the zebra snails and shrimps like heated water? What would the ideal temperature be?

Thanks
GaryM

Postby Katfish » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:18 pm

They will all be fine with the heater I would aim for a temp of 25-26.

All I would do is I bring the temp up slowly 1oc a day till you get to your target temp and with the weather we are having at the mo it will not take long.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby GaryM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:36 pm

That's great, thanks.

Looking at the occupants I listed above, how close to fully stocked am I for a 40l tank?
If I still have room (big if!), I fancied some neon tetra's but that was out as I was settling for cold water initially. Now I'm being advised to change to tropical, how would they live with danios and platys?
GaryM

Postby malakye » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Most shrimp actually need water heated to 25-26 so yes I would add the heater.
Your tank being small is at its limit, danios and platys need a fair bit of room as they are active fish.
As Andy said aim for around 8 hours for the lights. You can run both lights together or just have the blues on for an hour after the whites go out. Blue and whites together are more common in marine set ups. I have a small freshwater tank which runs both which can at times be bad for algae so keep an eye on things if it gets bad cut the lights back a little or turn them off for an hour throughout the day.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners