[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Brown algae
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Brown algae

If you are new to the hobby.

Brown algae

Postby domeshot0812 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 am

I have a 50 gallon tank with all live plants. All my plants are covered with and brown and black algae. The light is on 12 hours a day, and I recently learned I have high nitrates. How do I get rid of this once and for all. Any help is appreciated.
domeshot0812

Re: Brown algae

Postby superdart » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 am

I use JBL BioNitratEX in an outside filter for Nitrate removal.It was developed for Discus breeders but works very well in any system.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby Anita » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:33 pm

If your lights are on for 12 hours a day try cutting them down to 8 hours and see if that helps. If the nitrates are high just do water changes to lower them, don't buy any of the chemicals some LFS recommend, you really dont need them. If its just the tank that has high nitrates that is. If its the tap water then something like Superdart recommended is great
As Anita asked I too am interested in hearing what fish you are or intend to keep.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby domeshot0812 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:45 am

I have Cory cat fish, bala sharks, assorted tetras, dwarf gouramis. I'm new with live plants any advice helps, how does one balance a live plant tank? Help haha!
domeshot0812

Postby malakye » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Keeping plants is easy, I used to use liquid carbo once a week and the plants flourished using it. Just make sure you buy true aquatic plants as some stores will sell you plants which are not true aquatics.
Keep the lights on for no more than 8hours a day, thats plenty for plants.
How long has your tank been set up for? If its longer than 6months you can add a few otto's they are brilliant wee algae eaters although they will not eat the black/brown algae. Or go for a bristle nose plec again great wee workhorses who unlike common plecs only reach a max of 5 inches if male. Avoid common plecs as they get huge and lazy and are big waste producers.
As Anita said weekly water changes are the most important factor for any fish tank, planted or non planted. Aim for between 10-25% weekly and you will not go wrong.
Invest in your own test kit, go for liquid tests not strips as strips are not very accurate. Several of us on here use the API master kits. You can pick them up for around £20 on ebay, they last a long time so it is worth while.
Other than that just pick of any dead leaves.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anita » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Agree with the above :-):

Also feed your plants with a good fertiliser and don't overfeed your fish :-):
Crossocheilus siamensis is an algae eater that will eat brush algae - they are particularly good when they are small, lazy when bigger. You have a big tank and you have room for them - keep 3 at a minimum as they can be territorial with each other.
Make sure if you want them that you buy Crossocheilus siamensis as there a few fish similar.
May not be a bad idea for you as you have a low tech and big tank.
Adding a liquid carbon can help - it is also an algaecide and plants definitely do better by adding it.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Return to Beginners