Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Lets get started

If you are new to the hobby.

Lets get started

Postby asidhunter101 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Firstly hi everyone, been looking over the forum for a little while and WOW so much information,. So far iv managed to make a small equipment list and plan to sterilise and cycle my 95ltr tank at the weekend.

So now i have a 4 week or so wait, this is where you lovely people come in :-): . I know i want a freshwater community tank but that's about as far as I've got, any suggestions on fish species that would work well for a beginner would be great. Also what are peoples views on planted or unplanted, does one "function" better than the other?

As i have mentioned i currently have a 95ltr tank spare but to me it seems narrow; it is 30 inches wide , 13 inches deep and 15 inches high. Not sure if that is a normal size for a tank or not really just that its small depth-wise in reptile keeping terms.

Anyway enough rambling from me any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

:bye:

Asidhunter101
asidhunter101

Re: Lets get started

Postby asidhunter101 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:26 am

SO... i've done a bit of research and i think i have come up with a fairly good list of species and numbers for my tank:

12 Rosy Tetra
1 male swordtail
1 female sword tail
2 gold marble bristlenose catfish

They can all live in a common tank temperature of 26dC and pH 7.0

Does this sound good? should my numbers in regard to any fish be higher or lower? Have i maybe even got it completely wrong and these fish wont live well together?

Thanks,
Asidhunter101
asidhunter101

Postby malakye » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:48 pm

I would cut down to about 6 on the rosy tetra, swordtails can be a bit aggressive at times, I have kept them in a community tank with no issues several times but some do have problems with them so keep an eye out and where possible buy younger smaller specimens that can grow in your tank. Go for 2 females to one male as the male will harass a lone female to death.
In a small tank you will only need one bristlenose plec.

Planted tanks are much better for the fish you dont need a huge amount or anything really fancy low tech plants can be just as nice.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby asidhunter101 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks for the advise :) will definatly cut down on the number of rosy tetra.

Yeah i couldn't decide on platys or swordtails, everyone seems to have differing info on the platys when it comes to temps and pH so i went with swordtails. Since posting that list i have read a few times that i should have one male to several females as a lone one will get harassed. I plan on having the "aggresive" species as younger specimens seemed to make sense that they wont go after anything bigger than them. As for the number of bristlenose plec i did think the guy at my LFS was just after a sale as it seemed an excessive amount, as you said its only a small tank really.

How easy is it to re-arrange plants if you dont like how they look in the tank? im guessing all fishes should be removed really before attempting anything.

Asidhunter101

[Update]:

6x Neon Tetra
6x Zebra Danio
2x Albino Cory
2x Opaline Gourami

This "Tropical Starter Group" are up for sale on an online store would this be something recommended for a first timer or is it the kind of this to stay away from?
asidhunter101

Postby malakye » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Your tank would be on the small side for opaline gourami. Cory cats do better in groups of at least 4, they like company and even play together. Zebras are really active fish I actually preferred your original choice.

Platy I find are much more peaceful than swords and dont harass fish the same. They also come in a multitude of colours again go for 2 females to one male.
As for bristlenose I had 4 in a 5ft tank and they kept is spotless they are great little workers, stay at a nice size and dont get lazy like common plecs.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners