[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - A bit of education please
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

A bit of education please

If you are new to the hobby.

A bit of education please

Postby dave1987 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:25 am

Hi I am going to getting a 150 litre rectangle tank for my living room.

It will be a cold water tank.

Could someone give me an idea of different breed of fish that are bright in colour and how many I can put in the tank as it will be more for my children than me so I dont really want plain fish like gold fish.

Also could you tell me how long I need to have the water in the tank before I can add the fish.
Many thanks

Dave
dave1987

Re: A bit of education please

Postby Mick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:37 am

Hi there, the tank will need to be cycled before adding the fish, have a read in our article section to explain it fully for you :thu:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Re: A bit of education please

Postby malakye » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, as Mick said there is an article about fishless cycling of a tank in this section, heres the link

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22

As for cold water fish your choice is really limited. There is not a great deal of choice other than fancy goldfish or small fish like white cloud mountain minnows.
If you stick a heater in the tank it opens up your choices, even cold water fish need a filter so the heater is really the only difference.
If you do go that route, avoid common plecs though as they grow way too large for most tanks.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners