Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

set up a tank

If you are new to the hobby.

set up a tank

Postby daz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi i have been given a small freshwater plastic fish tank. It came with an air pump but i am not sure how to set it up.
there is a plastic web shaped base that sits in the bottom of the tank with a clear tube that goes to the surface (open ended) and i have an air pump with soft plastic tubes and stone like filter on the end.
i assume the stone type filter goes into the water to add air and that the base is some sort of filter but i am not sure if the two are meant to work together or that i may be missing some parts....?????
daz

Re: set up a tank

Postby POS_miniracer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Sounds like it might be some sort of under gravel filter.

Is there any way you can take photo's of everything you have then upload them to a site like www.photobucket.com then post the links here so we can see them and walk you through it?
POS_miniracer

Postby daz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:26 am

ok will do thanks for the reply
daz

Postby daz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 pm

well i have placed the air tube filter down the pipe that leads to the bottom of the tank, it looks ok but still does not make sense,the air bubbles are just rising to the surface via the clear plastic tube i hope i am doing the correct thing.
i am sorry i could not upload any pics to help.
i have done this to rescue the smaller fish from the pond as it is starting to freeze due to the cold weather,they are two small approx 6 month old gold fish and they seem happy enough.
they are a very dark colour almost a dark bronze i assume they will become orange as they get older??.
also how often should i feed them. i will be getting some gravel and some oxygen weed to put in there and hope they will be ok.....
they seem very active and constabtly looking for food but do not want to over feed them.
best wishes everyone and thank you for your posts...

daz
daz

Postby daz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:56 pm

well after some online research i have discovered i have a Hexaquarium 3 Aquarium Starter Kit but the filter pump and light fitting are missing, the air pump must be an added extra.....
i have put the air pump filter down the gravel filter tube just to add air to the water.
i am using the tank for the baby fish from the pond just to keep them out of the cold for the winter, not ideal but hopefully it will help them survive the cold.
i will get a light and see if i can purchase a filter pump seperately and add them myself and hope for the best...

any advice would be welcome thank you
daz

Return to Beginners