Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Community fish advice

If you are new to the hobby.

Community fish advice

Postby Jonahjones26 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:34 pm

I have set up a new tank for a fighter and a few community fish.

Firstly I have planted the tank and set it up for approx 8 days and is running nicely.

Yesterday I added 5 neons..... Before I add a fighter I will be adding some algie eating shrimp and a glass cleaning snail ( as advised by my local aquatics store) but I have been given some contrasting advice about other fish too add.

Some of the fish they showed me grow upto 7-10 cm which is way too big IMO ?

I don't want the tank to be over crowded and need to select non tail nipping tank mates for the fighter.

So what fish and quantities should I be looking for?

Thanks
Jonahjones26

Re: Community fish advice

Postby Getthejist » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:44 pm

What size tank do you have?
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby malakye » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 pm

If your wanting a fighter I would leave the shrimp out unless your going for bigger shrimp like the amano otherwise they will just get eaten.

We really need to know the size of your tank before we can advise you more, if your going for a plec stick to one of the smaller type like bristlenose, avoid commons as they get huge. Also stay clear of guppies they can nip the tail of the betta and vice versa.
Depending on the size of your tank you could go for things like rummy nose tetra, black tetra, harlequin tetra, platies, x-ray tetra etc. But really we need to know the size of the tank.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonahjones26 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 pm

It's a superfish wave 15l with enclosed heater & filter
Jonahjones26

Postby Getthejist » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 pm

I think your LFS has given you some bad advice if they think you can have those neons, a betta, some shrimp and a snail. Personally I would only have a betta and two amano shrimp in there because all of those fish/invertabrates will be producing to much waste for your filter to handle, I have the filter and its quite good but won't be able to handle that many animals. Another thing is that even if the filter can handle all of those animals the nitrates will go up quickly. I've found that neons are also quite active and require quite a bit of room to swim whereas bettas aren't to active and are more relaxed when they swim which is why I think the betta would be fine. Also I find unless your tank is quite well planted a betta will harass cherry shrimp (not necessarily kill them) I always chose amanos if the fish are reasonably big in comparison to the shrimp.
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby malakye » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:48 pm

That tank is way too small for anything other than a betta. The way you were talking I assumed it was a larger tank sorry.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginners