[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras?
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras?

If you are new to the hobby.

Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras?

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Hello!

I have been reading a bit about Neon and Cardinal Tetras, but I can't seem to decide which would be better for my aquarium setup.

Current aquarium water parameters:
pH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30
kH: 70-90ppm (somewhere in between)
Temperature: 75 F

I have other fish and plants that need these parameters to not change very much. My Zebra Loach was able to easily adapt from an acidic pH level to a 7.5 pH so I was wondering if a Neon Tetra or a Cardinal Tetra could adapt as well. Which one would adapt to these conditions easier? Would you guys recommend me trying one of these sometime or is it too much of a risk?
Thanks!

Re: Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras?

Postby Anita » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:53 am

You could go for either but make sure you start off with good healthy fish, well rounded ones of a good size and showing good colour.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:30 am

I am a fan of Cardinal Tetra but both species will adapt

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby andy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Purely down to budget for me. Neons @ £1.25 or cardinals @ £3. I went for Neons in my tank because i wanted about 40 of them so it would've cost a fortune stocking with cardinals.

However, ive had cardinals before and they are just so much more colourful than neons.
andy

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Wow, that is a lot of fish. I agree, Cardinals are beautiful fish, but the Neons are very nice as well and they are much cheaper!

Do any of you know if either tetra type will thrive in these conditions? Would it be possible for me to breed either of them?

Postby malakye » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm

If you acclimatise them properly both would be fine in your tank. As for breeding is not usually successful as in order to breed neons you have to lower the pH levels quite a lot and have a bare tank where it is easy to see the eggs etc.
That's not to say it can't be done but is not as simple as breeding livebearers etc.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Most fish that are sold today in fish shops are bred in vast quantities in fish farms, usually in the far east. As a result, they seem to have become a lot more adaptable to various water conditions.

20 years ago, most cardinals were still being taken out of the Amazon and were very tempremental to keep, nowadays, they're almost easier than neons.

As for breeding....highly unlikely but not impossible

Good luck
andy

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Great! Sad about the breeding, though. Thank you all very much for the information!

Postby Jack Middleton » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Whichever you can get cheaply but tank bred, still a high percentage of Cardinal Tetra's are wild caught and it isn't sustainable, so go for tank or farm raised wherever possible. Both will be fine with your water parameters, as others have said breeding is unlikely, the eggs are photosensitive and will probably be eaten unless you separate the parents/
Jack Middleton

Postby andy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:33 pm

As far as im aware jack, very few, if any cardinals are wild caught these day in our lfs....they just would'nt survive in our tap water
andy

Next

Return to Beginners