[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - 3rd week into my tank cycle
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

3rd week into my tank cycle

If you are new to the hobby.

3rd week into my tank cycle

Postby roach22 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:59 pm

HI,

Im now into my 3rd week of my tank cycle and things seem to be going ok, today had my first trace of nitrate in the waater and despite putting ammonia in getting very small readings so looks like the bacteria n my tank are multiplying.

what im slightly woried about is the ph and KH . Throughout the cycle they have remained pritty much the same. PH - 6.4 acasionally going to 6.6 but averaging 6.4. now i do have wood in the tank so if im right the wood will be lowering my ph? and my KH sits in the apparently ''safe zone'' at 3d.

sould i leave me tank as it is since the bacteria are doing fine , or add bi-soda to raise my ph and f so how much? as for the KH, i dont know how to get it up a little more.

thanks
Ewan :cool
roach22

Re: 3rd week into my tank cycle

Postby roach22 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:21 pm

just to add aswell. just tested my tap ph. it reads 6.8 so that combined with low KH will be the cause of my low ph ?
roach22

Postby Mick » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:16 am

I would raise thew KH but you might as well wait until the cycle is complete. Raising the KH up to 4 will stabilise the pH at a higher level

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby roach22 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:05 pm

ok will do, how do i raise the KH ?
roach22

Postby Mick » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm

I always use bi-carb but this has to be done slowly over a period of a couple of hours if you have fish in the tank, if not then just adjust accordingly.

Mick

Postby roach22 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 pm

I dont know if my tamk cycle is over or not? ive got alot of rotten fish food at the bottom but 0.6 ammonia reading but only gekking slight readings of nitrate. will give it time to see if it change. but im not wanting to rush things so time isnt really an option, ive not got fish init so i will just add it in, any rough estimate on how much to put in?

sorry for the questions but its much appreciated

Thanks Ewan :thu:
roach22

Postby Mick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Just add a teaspoon at a time, if you are still getting an ammonia reading then the cycle is not yet complete.

Mick

Postby roach22 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:38 pm

hello again,

So im now on my 4th week of my tank cycle and i went to clean out the fungust pile of food... its all voer my tank making my sand look terrible and floating in little clumps ! Am i just going to keep doing water changes or will the fish clean it up?

Thanks again ;plo)
roach22

Postby Mick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 am

Syphon the rotten food out if it gets to that stage, keep water changes to a minimum or it will slow down the cycle.

Mick

Postby roach22 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 pm

ok thanks again,

just because there is going to be water changes, can i take some gravel ect from my tropical fish tank which has been cycled for years. I didnt bother adding some gravel before just because i dont know if its different for tropical and freswater?
roach22

Next

Return to Beginners