[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - rescued goldfish
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

rescued goldfish

If you are new to the hobby.

rescued goldfish

Postby luther » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:41 am

hi i've recently been given a goldfish from someone who didnt want it, trying to get it set up the best i can its in a goldfish bowl at the moment with fish pebbles an ornament and an oxygenating plant, we've been given a 28ltr tank which i know isn't ideal or big enough so will hopefully be upgrading in the near future, havent put the fish in yet as have ordered an interpet mini pf filter and was wanting to know if i also need an air pump with that and also how should i cycle the water so its safe for the fish, will putting its ornament and pebbles speed up the process? any advice would be welcome,
luther

Re: rescued goldfish

Postby Mick » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 am

Transferring the decor from the bowl will speed up the process as some beneficial bacteria will also be transferred with these items. Use the old water as well.
Through no fault of your own you may have to continue the cycle with the fish in situ so here's an article that will help you.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

You are going to have to increase the size of the tank very quickly, if its a fantail goldfish you will need a minimum of 5 gallon if its a common goldfish you will need an absolute minimum of 10 gallon

As Mick said trasferring everything will help speed up things somewhat. If your using a filter you shouldnt need an airpump but they can help airate the water a bit more by breaking the surface water.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby luther » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:35 pm

thanks guys, i know it needs a bigger tank but surely what i've got is going to be better than the ice cream tub he was living in when rescued, going to go and speak to my local aquarium store when i've got the money for a bigger tank next month, for an unexpected pet hes pretty cool :)
luther

Postby malakye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes it definitely sounds better than an ice cream tub. Because the tank is small do several water changes a week or the stats will go haywire as goldfish are messy fish.

Is he a fantail goldfish or just a common one?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby luther » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 pm

just a fan tail i think, seen a 54ltr tank think i'm just going to order that, this weekend when ive been paid and skip the 28ltr completly to avoid stressing it out too much, would oxygenating tablets help the tank i'm buying comes with a filter and dull light
luther

Postby Mick » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:43 am

As long as the filter outlet breaks the surface of the water, oxygen will be absorbed without the need of the tablets.

Mick

Postby malakye » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Like Mick I wouldnt bother with the tablets either.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby luther » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:42 am

i got a 22 gallon tank for next to nothing, its second hand and the gentleman gave me some methylene blue he told me that its to kill any bad bacteria if the fish is unwell, would it be a good idea to rinse some through the filter diluted in hot water for a couple hours to clean it? or shall i just stick with hot water? for the tank am I best to scrub with hot water, he said to use a bleach mix but i don't want to use any unsafe chemicals. and am i best letting the water filter about the tank a few days before putting the fish in as going to put its ornaments and gravel in to help with the cycle?
sorry about all the questions in one go i just really want to get it done best i can
luther

Postby Mick » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:38 am

When cleaning tanks or equipment I always use sterilising fluid, the same as for babies bottles, just make sure that you rinse well after use and there should be no problems.

Mick

Next

Return to Beginners