[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Filter Media
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Filter Media

If you are new to the hobby.

Filter Media

Postby mdyball » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi. I have an EHEIM 2236 external filter for my 180L tropical tank.

I bought it second hand and it is currently running on the tank at the moment. I wish to replace the filter media inside.

What do i need? Filter pads; easy enough. Its really what media can i use instead of the EHEIM recommended SUBSTRATpro or EHFIKTIVE or are these the best options?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt
mdyball

Re: Filter Media

Postby malakye » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:19 pm

I have never used the Eheim filters so will leave it to one of the members who have to help you with this.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Getthejist » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:22 pm

Instead of the substratpro you could use any other bio media, I like bioballs as they arent that expensive and dont limit flow very much. And the eheim efiaktive is just activated carbon so 1. you can get that quite cheap anyway when its not an eheim or fluval brand and 2. you dont really need it except for removing medicine. And for sponges I just buy pond filter pads and cut them to the right size but you may be better just buying the eheim foam pads. On the subject of pond pads the filter floss pond filters use is very cheap and very big but for the same price you would buy a small pack of maybe 3 eheim filter floss pads and the pond filter floss will be at least a few times bigger than the 3 combined.
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby Anita » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:19 pm

I use SUBSTRATpro in my filter and it's not a Eheim, it's a Rena.
I've used it for years, holds loads of good bacteria, lovely!
I never wash it though - wash sponges, change/wash white pads but never wash the SUBSTRATpro.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:53 am

I'm still an old fan of ceramic rings, never washed them as the sponges keep the detritus away from them, never used carbon media unless I need meds taking out of the tank after treatment.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Return to Beginners