[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - egg bearing Kribensis
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

egg bearing Kribensis

If you are new to the hobby.

egg bearing Kribensis

Postby lar » Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 am

I have an albino Kribensis that is carrying eggs but she has been for about two-three weeks. She was alone in a breeding tank, I got her already with eggs so didn't have a pair. Today put her in a bigger tank with a male Kribensis and they are getting along great! Wondering if she'll still lay those eggs after so long. I have a cave and all the details appear to be fine for egg laying otherwise..... Any words of wisdom out there?
lar

Re: egg bearing Kribensis

Postby Big Den » Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 am

All female fish 'carry eggs' so to speak, but they get plump when they get into breeding condition, which is probably what you are referring to. They are relatively easy to breed and prefer some sort of cave, like a half buried flower pot or similar.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Mon May 28, 2012 10:36 am

Be aware that if they do pair off and decide to breed your tank will no longer be a peaceful haven for your other fish that are in with them as they do get really aggressive when spawning.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blowfish » Wed May 30, 2012 10:23 am

If you want to encourage the breeding try dong 10% daily water changes with cold water and add aquarium tonic salts! This will get them going.... :thu:
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Postby lar » Thu May 31, 2012 5:24 am

thanks for advice but I read that it is preferable to raise water temp to 78-82 while in breeding mode.???? do daily water changes with colder water?
Also, the pair is alone in a tank and have no other fish disturbing them.
lar

Postby Mick » Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 am

Cold water changes mimic the rainy season to encourage spawning

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Re: egg bearing Kribensis pH

Postby lar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:12 am

Question about the pH....I know that 7.0 is ideal for fry to be both sexes. I test pH every other day or so. it always goes up!! I use pH down and get it in range and next time I check, it's back high above 7.0. Is using pH down drops about every other day dangerous to the fish in tank? Why does it keep going up when all conditions stay the same?

also, should I cover the filter intake so babies don't get in there? It's the kind with the pipe that leads into the tank from the back and has a vertical hole screen on plastic end piece..

thanks for the advice so far....looks all good!! Pretty sure there are now fertilized eggs in the pot. she's in there 90% of the time and he visits for 30 seconds inside the pot every hour or so. They seem to be getting along great and fingers are all crossed!!

Thanks for any help with this! I'm a first timer.... :)
lar

Postby Big Den » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 am

Don't mess with the pH, a stable pH is much better and the fish will adapt to it. If I remember correctly kribensis fry are quite big so unlikely to be sucked into the filter, wouldn't hurt to take precautions though.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Like Den said stop adding the pH down as that will cause you more issues than it helps with, add some bogwood to the tank to help lower your pH if your worried about it. What reading is your water giving without the pH added?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks for the advice. I was getting a pH reading of about 7.8. I've now added distilled water which brought it down to 7.1-7.2. I'll leave it there and stop messing with it. Thanks sooooo much. It's much appreciated.
lar

Return to Beginners