[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Put my mind at rest - New tank
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Put my mind at rest - New tank

If you are new to the hobby.

Re: Put my mind at rest - New tank

Postby Mick » Fri May 04, 2012 9:01 am

Hmm, don't we all love the advice from the LFS, as you mentioned sales figures play a large part in their advice unless you get a good one of which there are some around it's just a case of finding them and sticking with them. While the tank is cycling I would cut down on the water changes as you are also removing beneficial bacteria as well and you need these colonies to grow.
When you get your testing kit post the results on here for ammonia, nitrites and eventually nitrates and we can talk you through the cycle :thu:

And don't forget if you have any other questions ask away however small they may seem , there is no such thing as a stupid question to us we were all new to this hobby at some time!!

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby PTline » Fri May 04, 2012 10:19 am

Thank you all so much for your advice, lets hope my fish make it!

Next question is it ok for my outlet valve on the filter to be under the water level ? As I have an air stone pumping fresh air into the tank and had to much bubbles and current for my fish?

Thanks again

Phill
PTline

Postby Mick » Fri May 04, 2012 1:41 pm

The airline will agitate the water surface which in turn will help to absorb oxygen into the water, the outlet from the filter will be o.k. underwater, is there a slider on it to control the water flow leaving the filter. I tend to turn these down for underwater purposes, if not its not a major problem!!

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Blowfish » Fri May 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Ideally 10-20% daily ! also the addition of a bacterial supplement like cycle,filter start or stress zyme after each water change will help alot....as you are being the filter changing water and adding good bacteria to break down the waste!! you will prob find that within 2 weeks you will get clear water tests on ammonia and nitrite(the nasty ones :-): )
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Postby iJason111 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:40 pm

How's the tank now Phill?
iJason111

Postby Jack Middleton » Tue May 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Jack Middleton

Postby Blowfish » Tue May 22, 2012 6:23 pm

To be honest ive only used cycle and found that works pretty well,good to know about the others :thu:
Blowfish

Postby Jack Middleton » Tue May 22, 2012 6:35 pm

I've not tested Cycle, I did PCR and electrophoresis on Filter Start, Stress Zyme, Dr Tim's and Pets At Home's brand of Bacteria for my A-level coursework, only one of them contained the correct genus of bacteria and that was the Dr.Tim's product. The majority of products on the market do, I'll try cycle.
Jack Middleton

Postby Blowfish » Tue May 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Yeah that'd be good to find out :thu:
Blowfish

Previous

Return to Beginners