Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Cleaning your fish tank

If you are new to the hobby.

Re: Cleaning your fish tank

Postby Mick » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:59 pm

If you click the new topic button and start a fresh thread in the beginner section more members will get to see it and answer you quicker :thu:

http://theoldgitpainting.blogspot.co.uk

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby mucklelass » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:57 am

I have picked up a second hand tank and kit very cheap. The article about cleaning (salt and vinegar - sound like a chip shop!) is very helpful.
1. Regarding sterilizing tablets
Do you mean the sort wine makers use to clean their equipment (Camden tablets I think they are called), or is it something else?

2. Disease and bad stuff
How do I ensure the tank is completely healthy? Will the sterilization tabs take care of all of that? I will get brand new filter media, but should I run the old filter in the sterilization stuff to get the gubbins and plastic casing all clean and safe?

3. Gravel
Some beautiful gravel came with the tank. Should that be sterilized, too? I don't think there can be any live bacteria on it, and I'm scared of introducing disease.

4. Any other helpful advice?
I will follow all the instructions in the opening article in this thread, but is there anything else I should consider, as this is a pre-used tank.

Thanks for a very informative and helpful thread!
Lin
mucklelass
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:13 pm

I use the tablets that are designed for sterilising baby bottles, never thought about campden tablets to be honest.

http://theoldgitpainting.blogspot.co.uk

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Yes you can use the tablets that winemakers use or you can also use Milton steralising fluid that you use for baby equipment, make sure you rinse everything thoroughly afterwards.
You can use the steraliser to clean the gravel too again make sure you rinse really well afterwards.
Clean what you can on the filter using a cloth to clean the outside and where you can reach on the inside of the filter but don't actually put it in the steralising fluid, most steralising fluids react badly to metal parts. Run it in a bucket of fresh water for a day or two to blow through anything trapped inside and then add the new media and it should be ok.
I would buy a new heater though, second hand heaters are not usually worth the bother. Check out the sponsor called Forrtex he sells great heaters at a great price, they come with safety guards and hes not too far from you being in Musselburgh but he does over delivery too. BigDen got a few of his heaters and recommends them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DominicJ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Was the tank already up and running?
If so, I wouldnt advise going through the sterilising process.
Only do that if its been sat in a shed for a while.

If uit hasnt been running for a while, then yes, your probably best sterilising everything.
DominicJ

Postby mucklelass » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm

It was running the day we bought it. But it had been drained for us to take away. We don't know if any of the fish had been diseased. One was still alive the day we went to collect the tank.
mucklelass
Donator
Donator

Postby DominicJ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 am

If you've taken the live fish, I'd rather risk putting him in a tank thats been drained than my main tank (assuming you have a main tank), if he is diseased, you dont want him killing everything esle.
DominicJ

Postby mucklelass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:18 pm

No Dominic, they had made arrangements for the fish. So we just brought home the tank and stuff. So no fishy problems - yet!
mucklelass
Donator
Donator

Previous

Return to Beginners