Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Cleaning your fish tank

If you are new to the hobby.

Re: Cleaning your fish tank

Postby aniketsp » Tue May 25, 2010 2:54 pm

How often should I do a complete water change to my tank (30 gallon tank). I have floor filter + a power filter attached to one side of the tank. I do a 50% water change evey 15 days or so.
aniketsp

Postby Blowfish » Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 pm

On my freshies i do 20% weekly and never change all of it as this has a very bad effect on your aquarium by uppsetting if not killing off much of the bacteria that keeps your healthy.Its also a huge change in chemistry the fish wont like!
Remember when u set up an aquarium you are meant to leave running for at least a week before adding any livestock! to age the water!
If u need to refresh your tank and deep clean use a gravel cleaner and maybe to 20-25% every 2-3 days till your happy with it,also wouldnt do large water change,gravel clean and clean filter/s on same day as this also leeds to too much bacteria loss resulting in ammonia and nitrite spikes! :thu:
My marines is every 2-4 weeks depending on Test results,as i find it very stable now as it is 6years old.
For the first several months it got 1-2 20%change a week while it matured!
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Postby aniketsp » Wed May 26, 2010 5:39 am

Thanks a lot for your response Blowfish. So just to confirm, we shouldn't be cleaning the entire tank ever? But then what about the fish poo and leftover food bits that settle down under the gravel? Does the gravel cleaner pull out all of it? Also one of my friends, cleans the entire tank once in two months. Do I tell him to stop doing that immediately? Thanks a lot.
aniketsp

Postby Blowfish » Wed May 26, 2010 9:23 am

Yup let the gravel cleaner do the work,if you only manage to clean half of it and youve already removed say 20% leave it a few days then do the rest so as not to upset the water balance too much.......
Again NEVERempty tank as this is close to starting from scratch and will cause you many probs(so defo advise freind not to) if your getting alot of muck build up cut down on feeding and check stock levels :thu:
Blowfish

Postby gobbie1 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:54 pm

Blowfish wrote:Yup let the gravel cleaner do the work,if you only manage to clean half of it and youve already removed say 20% leave it a few days then do the rest so as not to upset the water balance too much.......
Again NEVERempty tank as this is close to starting from scratch and will cause you many probs(so defo advise freind not to) if your getting alot of muck build up cut down on feeding and check stock levels :thu:

Its amazing where people can go wrong - def do not complete cleaning as you say - on my FW sometimes would be 6-8 weeks I'd only do partial gravel clean & rinse 1 off my eheim 2228's every 6 months

seemed to work.. but my sys was never overloaded & just very well filtered.
gobbie1

Postby malakye » Wed May 26, 2010 3:03 pm

When cleaning the substrate in the tank I normally aim to do a quarter of it with each water change, I do remove any really dirty areas more often though. Never do a complete water change, 10-20% on a weekly basis is usually more than enough.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blowfish » Wed May 26, 2010 6:06 pm

Blowfish wrote:Remember when u set up an aquarium you are meant to leave running for at least a week before adding any livestock! to age the water!

Would just like to say that this is a minimum amount of time(if u want to take the chance )that an aquarium should run before adding fish.......It is much better and totally advised that u cycle an aquarium prior to adding fish.
I.E. cycling tank without risking fish(am sure there is a guide here somewhere as how to do this)
If u are impatient start with hardy species like danios and do daily 10-20% water changes testing water daily until after say 3-4 weeks there is no nitrite( No2) reading or ammonia(Nh4) :thu:
Blowfish

Postby malakye » Wed May 26, 2010 6:13 pm

There are stickied topics on fishless cycles and fish in tank cycles in this section.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aniketsp » Thu May 27, 2010 5:55 am

Thanks a lot guys for your help. :)
aniketsp

Postby wellsie1984 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:40 pm

i have just recently started a baby biorb. I have 3 white cloud mountain minnows and will be getting 3 more soon. i was just wondering, how do i clean/change the filter? do i have to turn the pump off before i remove anything or leave it on? also, the bubble tube seems to be making alot of noise and i was wondering if there was anything i could do to quieten it? and how much should i feed my fish and how often?
wellsie1984

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners