Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Useful items to save those $$$$;

If you are new to the hobby.

Re: Useful items to save those $$$$;

Postby LadyBlue » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:38 am

GREAT POST ..... I love finding ways 2 save money .... I am a widow on a pension. A TIP to all the younger members ....... Getting old sucks..... start putting your pennys away, they will come in very handy when you get older
LadyBlue

Postby weirdartist » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:43 am

to save money on the fancy scrubbers with log handles you can simply but a pack of washing-up sponges and get your arm wet? simple and they cost about £1 for a pack of 10, just remember scrubber side for glass, sponge side for acrylic!

Terry
weirdartist

Postby Mick » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:19 am

My secrets out :lolflag

I do that all the time but as my tank is 2 foot deep it means getting wet up to the shoulders

http://theoldgitpainting.blogspot.co.uk

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby weirdartist » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:50 pm

lol! i have to admit i forked out for a magnetic one for my big tanks cuz I like being able to clean the tank with a top on! :wtf: lol, but yeah, I do still use a scrubber for the tough bits :)

Terry
weirdartist

Postby colinoak » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:21 am

Another interesing thing I have seen to save money for those who have sumps,

the water coming out of the tank goes into the side where you have the pads for bacteria the water then goes under the baffle pumped up into a used salt bucket filled with crushed coral to help in the filtering process before being pumped back into the tank. The bucket was on bricks in the sump. Because it was a small sump it acted as another section of the sump without the need for an extra baffle to be put in.

Being a newbie I thought it was a good idea. Not sure if its a good thing to do?
colinoak

Postby Mick » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:10 am

Well if its working then its a great idea, never heard of it being done before but 10/10 for originality :-):

http://theoldgitpainting.blogspot.co.uk

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:56 pm

I never used to buy gravel from a petshop either, instead I used to go to homebase or the garden centre and buy the pea gravel from there at a fraction of the price, ok you have to rinse it to get the muck all out but its the same as the petstores when washed.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Think it's round about my time to let out my secrets.

You'll be surprised at the bargains you find online. From dechlorinator and food, to plants and tanks. Of course there are exceptions in which you'll find that certain items cost more than things from a shop, but this number is far outweighed by the cheaper items.If your comfortable waiting for delivery, online shopping is for YOU.

Heres a list of the things I've purchased online.

Pond Dechlorinator - Much cheaper than regular tank dechlorinator, does the same job and comes in larger quanitities. I've just purchased 350 waterchanges at 24litres worth of it for £6. As opposed to £7 for 28 waterchanges as 10litres.

Plants - At your LFS, plants are usually sold in 'bunches'. Meaning several stems of plant are wrapped together by a peice of cotton held in place with a metal band. These plants will cost anything from £2 to £7 (or more, depending on LFS). Many people agree that the best source online for plants is last-trading-post. They provide a variety of very healthy, novice, cheap unbunched plants at very low cost.

25 Live plants at 4.99 INCL. delivery!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25-Live-Aquatic-A ... 3358a6b98b

Food - There are many sources online and I have NO idea who provides the best food. I have bought a variety of Spirulina, Catfish Pellets, Wafers and Sinking Tabs for a total cost of £12 as opposed to the LFS.

Equipment - You can find all kinds of equipment in different makes for realtively low prices.

Tanks - This may take time looking for the perfect tank for you, but you can snap up some very good deals.

Places to look:
Ebay
Local Classifieds
Aquarists Classifieds
Forums
DIY can be a fussy subject with all the research involved. But if you'd like to have a bit of time-consuming fun and want to learn some new skills I'd recommend it anyday. The only problem with DIY is the amount of reasearch involved, but hey, who dosen't want to learn more about their fishy friends?
Using alternatives is a very cost effective often shows better results.

Sand - Instead of going out and buying tonnes of gravel, visit your local Argos (or equivalent) and buy yourself some regular old playsand. It will take some time rinsing but the results are much the better.

Coconut Caves - As mentioned before by Rosst. Empty coconut shells provide a brilliant shelter for cave spawning cichlids such as Kribensis. After completing the coconuts ensure that you boil them until the water rns clear (unless you like brown stained water). You can also grow certain types of moss on them by tying the moss on with a peice of string.
These are pretty difficult to produce without the right tools but it can be done (I know :rofl: ).

Foods - It is possible to culture live foods and mix your own frozen foods. There are many different recipes for frozen foods, however always ensure you reasearch which ingredients are appropriate for your fish. Culturing live foods is a simple yet smelly process. You must buy or collect a culture of worms and keep them in a tub with oatmeal, the worms will reproduce over time (usually few days to a week) and require a change of oatmeal.

Postby POS_miniracer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Mick wrote:My secrets out :lolflag

I do that all the time but as my tank is 2 foot deep it means getting wet up to the shoulders

I'm also a proud member of the fishy smelling armpit club :-):

When I was picking up materials to build the canopy for the 90G a DIY project unto itself, I also picked up a 20 foot long roll of 5/8 I.D. clear tubing for syphoning out water from the tanks for $10.00. I still use the gravel vac when I need to but this long hose allows me to syphon water right out either the front or rear door of the house on 4 of my tanks which really cuts down on dragging buckets around.

One tip though, If you're going to be a red necked hillbilly and syphon right out the front door in winter try to keep it off the concrete stoop otherwise you're wife might not appreciate the fall :daz: while trying to wrestle the dog food into the house. :oops:
But the bushes and grass should like it in the summer.
POS_miniracer

Postby POS_miniracer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:31 am

About a week or so ago I decided I needed something to keep the Jaguars from possibly jumping out of the tank so I decided to build a canopy as opposed to spending the $150.00 bucks or so it would take to buy one and then have to clear coat it myself anyway. So I make a plan and head to the home center and pick up everything I think I’ll need to build it for around $80.00. I then get to work building what turns out to be a pretty nice canopy. Trouble is I hate canopies for the most part, and even my own was no different. They’re kinda bulky, they restrict access to some degree, They add height to what is already a tall set up and quite frankly even with the canopy there was enough room between the canopy and the glass tops that I was worried if hit hard enough the glass tops could bang off the canopy lids and possibly shatter or break.

So, my “custom built hand crafted” canopy now rests on a display tank at my LFS and with any luck will sell for what I have into it but now I need to come up with a new plan for holding the lids down on the tank. And then it hit me and I came up with this simple plan. It doesn’t look like much but if it proves that it’ll hold; and right now it looks as if it holds a bit too much as the Velcro is pretty strong and takes a bit of effort for even me to remove then I’ll stain the boards to match the stand and give them a coat of clear waterproofing and the job will be done. Total cost including the stain and clear coat left over from the original canopy came to about $15.00. It’s a simple 1X2 in the front and a 1X3 across the back held in place with simple Velcro strips.

EDIT: Already I hate the velcro. It's thick, ugly and way stronger than it needs to be. I have to pry that board off. So I've ordered an assortment of those little Earth magnets. I'm going to silicon them to the tank and then recess the other half into the wood deep enough to get it to sit flush on the frame of the tank like a shallow peg. This will make it a lot cleaner looking and be easier to cope with.
POS_miniracer

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners