Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

quarantine tank

Need advice about buying some equipment or wish to write a review.

quarantine tank

Postby Harley » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:40 am

After my last 2 episodes of white spot due I think from introducing new fish I am thinking of buying a small tank to use for quarantine. What would be the smallest I could get away with? Would I need filtration? I would not be putting anything bigger than a cardinal/emperor tetra in & no more than 6 at any one time. Thanks in advance.
Harley

Re: quarantine tank

Postby malakye » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi Harley, I had a 30 litre tank I used as a quarantine tank for small fish, you dont want too small even though it is only for 6 fish they still have to be in there for at least 3-4 weeks. I always used a sponge filter in my quarantine tank and you will need a small heater as well. Emperor tetra are lovely but get to a size of 1 and a half inch so dont go too small with your quarantine tank.

Quarantine tanks can and do save you a lot of hassle but always remember you still have to acclimatise your fish when taking them from the quarantine tank to the established tank or the shock can kick off white spot.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fishkeeping Equipment