[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - all things related to sumps
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

all things related to sumps

Need advice about buying some equipment or wish to write a review.

all things related to sumps

Postby madhouse » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 pm

right now this is where i am a little up in the air about

sumps are these the places you put your lr in and other bits and bobs to filter the water or do you keep the lr in the display tank?

ways of getting water to the sump

i understand you can have/get drilled tanks or you can go for the hob overflow option or go for the pumped option but which is the better to have in all reguards also whats a weir at the back or side of the tank

then the options of pumping pack to the tank but this seems quite simple

is it better to have a multilayerd sump or split into compartments
Karl

Dont ask as i probably dont know but just incase i do it's probably wrong
madhouse

Re: all things related to sumps

Postby Mick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Loads of questions :-):

Keep the LR in the display tank, used a chambered sump if you want you can add live rock rubble in the middle chamber or even run a DSB, it is best to use a drilled tank with a weir on the outlet, the outlet is gravity fed and the water is pumped back up to the tank on the inlet. First chamber is normally for mechanical filtration with sponges or similar unless you are adding a wet/dry trickle tower on top of the sump. Protein skimmer sits in the last chamber or the middle chamber. Heaters are in the middle chamber

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby madhouse » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:39 pm

best to have loads of quesions now lol than after i made it :wtf:

so what is a wier is this an actual part of the tank sectioned off just under the genral water level ? or is it something else

how easy is it to drill a heavy tank lol i think some dont like the thought of using a drill on a glass tank so opt for a hob doolaly lol

do what sort of power heaters would you be better off with in a sump in reagurd to the tank is it the same or different ?

does the flow back to the tank matter at all the bigger the better sort of thing ?
Karl

madhouse

Postby Mick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:55 pm

The wier is a section that is placed in front of the outlet from the tank to the sump, they often have a tooth edge to catch any debris before it goes down to the sump. The water flows into the wier which is set at the desired water level and then into the outlet pipe.

Use standard heaters in the sump
There is an eqution that gives you the rating for the size of pump required but I can't remember it now :-):
Nec will know that one.

Drilling the tank is not as difficult as many people think, you just have to do it very slowly and keep pouring water over the diamond drill bit

Mick

Postby madhouse » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:09 pm

still i think i will get some one else to do that bit for me lol

what are these hob type ones
Karl

madhouse

Postby Mick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:49 pm

I have never used them but I don't like the idea of the water being pumped out of the tank, what happens if the sump floods

Mick

Postby madhouse » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 pm

no they are done buy a syphon sort if things
Karl

madhouse

Postby Nec » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:24 pm

With the pre drilled ones, the water goes into an overflow. The thing with the teeth. As for the HOB overflow, you need to make sure you get one rated for your tank and don't go the cheapest route. Most of the cheap ones will break syphon and your floor becomes a swimming hole. With the newer ones, they have features that won't allow this.
Nec

Postby madhouse » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:38 pm

the ones i have been reading have been a hob style and some have said that they can trap air in them and cut the syphon and it is sujested to use rounded corners instead of 90* corners this normally stop the accumilation of air

i am not 100% sure which way to go as if the drilling goes wrong i am stuffed and if the hob goes wrong i am water logged

i like the simplicity of doing a hob sytem also like the suitabilty of drilled

have you ever had an experiance of both and which was the best and was their much in it

uk seems to be drilled route most of the time but us seems to have a lot of the hob styled one's

the other option i was thinking about is using 2 external canisters (empty ones or even woth polyfilter in the return and bio balls in the inlet) of the same rating and brand meaning that i would/should have the same flow rate and not the same problems when it comes to power losses and i can then use the full volume of both tanks as i would not get the overflow problem

again has any one tried this option also what would be the problems with this
Karl

madhouse

Return to Fishkeeping Equipment