[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Filter advice please?
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Filter advice please?

Need advice about buying some equipment or wish to write a review.

Filter advice please?

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:12 am

I'm considering buying a wet/dry filter set up for my 90 gallon (340 liter) tank and I came across what seams like a good gently used one but it was being used on a 200 gallon tank and has a pump rated at 3100 liters (or just over 800 gallons) per hour.

Is there such a thing as turning the water over too many times in an hour? or too fast?

I'm assuming the larger the volume the stronger the current?

Is that going to be too much current? Do they even create current or "nozzle pressure" like a canister does on exit?

Thanks guys

POS_miniracer

Re: Filter advice please?

Postby malakye » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:53 pm

I have never used those filters so not sure of them at all but yes you can have too much flow.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superdart » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:52 pm

As above but you can reduce the turbulence by using spray bars with large holes in them to reduce the velocity on the outlets.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:41 am

So far so good. Took me a couple tries to get the hang of siphoning through the overflow U tube but I got lucky with eyeballing all the adjustments and seem to have it just right the first time.

Surprisingly, not the jet stream of water on exit that I expected. But I like the idea of having a spray bar anyway so I might just make that this weekends project.
POS_miniracer

Postby Graeme » Thu May 15, 2014 7:48 pm

How's the wet/dry filter set in the 90 gallon coming along? Did you put in on an overflow box?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:23 am

I did. It came complete with one. I ended up with a much lower flow pump though. It also has a Fluval 405 that's been on it since before the wet/dry.
POS_miniracer

Return to Fishkeeping Equipment