Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

What T8 bulb for plant growth

Need advice about buying some equipment or wish to write a review.

What T8 bulb for plant growth

Postby DominicJ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Everyone
I've just replaced the rear lights in my aquarium with very "blue" ones. Now, this looks awesome at night with just the back lights on, but they arent very good for plant growth (are they?)
To counter this, I want to replace the front ones, with a bulb designed for plant growth, but am struggling to find what this may actualy be.
Is there a specific T8 for plant growth?
DominicJ

Re: What T8 bulb for plant growth

Postby malakye » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Blue lights are usually only for marine tanks. In a fresh water tank they can cause a lot of algae issues so I would personally remove it but obviously that is your decision.
I used Osram Lumilux 865 T8 tube on my tank and the plants grew really well. I was going to buy a sunglo light but on looking up the kelvin ratings the osram was giving the same ratings just a lot cheaper.
I am sure someone else will give you more advice.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DominicJ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Its only small bulbs at the back so I'll see how it goes for now, its more like moon light than a blue LED, so it looks very good at night. But I will keep an eye on it.
DominicJ

Postby DominicJ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:22 pm

It appears I was wrong, the bulb maximises at 425nm, which is the ideal for plants, I always thought it was mostly red they sed
Going to get a red and broad spectrum for the front I think, which should cover everything except green that they dont use.
DominicJ

Postby DominicJ » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Added a 30w Power Glo, the "wrong" sort again, but it has good peaks in blue, green and red, the plants are loving it.
At some point I'll add something like the sun glo to my remaining light point, but for now, everything seems fine.
Even some which I'd planted and had promptly died off are growing back very strongly now.
DominicJ

Return to Fishkeeping Equipment