Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

I'm in need of some help!

Need advice about buying some equipment or wish to write a review.

I'm in need of some help!

Postby sbax1008 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm really unsure what to do!

Myself and my partner are very much novices at keeping fish. We have one goldfish and one shubunkin in a basic rectangular tank. We have had them for about 4 years now (and still don't know much!) but have recently moved home and are looking for a more ‘fancy’ tank. We had originally settled on the biOrb 30L but after reading so many poor reviews I don’t know what to do. Many people are saying they are unsuitable for goldfish, but others are saying their goldfish are thriving‼ We have considered going to the 60L tank, but don’t know if this will alleviate the problems people are mentioning. Can someone help please?

If you do say that the biOrb is not suitable, can you recommend another type of tank?

Thanks so much in advance! I really appreciate any help!
sbax1008

Re: I'm in need of some help!

Postby Big Den » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Age old question, 1 goldfish requires 25 gallons of water, then each additional fish will require 12 gallons more. These fish will not thrive in anything less. If you do not want to progress to tropical fish why not look at some of the smaller 'room temperature' fish, white cloud mountain minnows, guppies, platies etc, there is a wide choice. Research the fish and look for their minimum temperature requirements.
Big Den

Postby sbax1008 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks so much.
I can't comprehend how much each little fish needs! I am astounded! Is that from the outset, or as they grow. Mine are only 6cm (MAX) at the moment.

I don't think I could handle the responsibility of tropical fish yet! By the sounds of things they require much more care. I will certainly look into the different room temperature fish though, thanks again.
sbax1008

Postby malakye » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 pm

They require that right from the get go, although fancies can tolerate less the goldfish are massive waste producers who in less than those amounts fail to thrive. I have found a few of the ones usually bragging their fish are thriving also think they do great to keep a goldfish alive 3 years and think they have worked wonders when infact they are quite long lived and easily reach 10 years plus.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sbax1008 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow, ok thanks :) we are deffo gonna reconsider and have a think about other options now.

So if we get a bigger tank, can we put smaller fish in with the goldfish and shubunkin? Or wild you recommend just leaving it as the 2 of them in there?

Sorry for all the questions, but just want to get it right!! Thanks!
sbax1008

Postby malakye » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm

You could possibly get away with some fast swimming danios which tolerate the cooler temperatues without them being eaten but small white clouds would normally be picked off.
Rectangular tanks have more open space at the top to allow oxygen exchange/breathing room for the fish so I do prefer those over the orbs.
You could add a couple of fantails in with them if the tank is big enough.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fishkeeping Equipment