[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - led's v's tubes
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

led's v's tubes

Need advice about buying some equipment or wish to write a review.

led's v's tubes

Postby madhouse » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:41 pm

would blue led's act as the blue tube or are they too blue to do this?

also would white led's be better than a tube ?

as i have been reading about the led's in tanks and some are saying you get better light from the led's

any body use them at all ?

i understand the power consumption is starting to show a major decision maker

what is your ideas on these
Karl

Dont ask as i probably dont know but just incase i do it's probably wrong
madhouse

Re: led's v's tubes

Postby Mick » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:13 pm

I have never used them but I know that the new LED units are taking over form T5's, Halides etc.

I didn't think the full units were available in this country until next year

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby madhouse » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:26 pm

its quite easy to make your own its just finding the right led's

someone has reported good things about a £30 high powered led (100 of them) spot light

i was just woundering about the blue's mainly as it would be easy to incorporate them into my hood

does it matter what blue it is or does it have to be a specific kelvin?
Karl

madhouse

Postby Anita » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:37 pm

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalo ... ghting.asp

I've been looking at these myself. But I've only managed to read one decent review and that wasn't a particularly in favour of the results.
Basically it said that the buyer was disappointed with the amount amount of light given off one unit.
While he was well pleased with the overall quality of the product, he would need more than one... and that's what he was going to do.
I will go this way when I next upgrade my lighting without a doubt, hopefully by then we'll be hearing more about LED's and I'll have a clearer picture of what's required for my tank.

The link may help you, I don't know much about the lighting required for a S/W tank.... I would say a mix of blue and white. Blue light penetrates deeper into an aquarium I think which is good for corals and stuff, someone will soon pick me up if I'm wrong.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:03 pm

Kelvin on the tubes needs to be 16000 or above for penetration of the blue spectrum. Just looked at the link and I don't rate them at all. Some of the decent LED units incorporate 200 bulbs in each unit.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby madhouse » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:35 pm

think thats just for moon lighting tbh

i think i will stick with tubes less hassel in the end
Karl

madhouse

Postby Nec » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:14 pm

LED technology as the sole lighting for a marine tank is still in the new phase. There was a company called Solaris that pretty much made the first available units and they quickly went out of business from all of the troubles they were having. There are companies out there that are now putting LED's inside T5 tubes as a replacement for T5's. Again....still too new to tell if they work or not. Not much out there information wise. Your best bet is to stick with regular T5 setups and upgrad to LED's when they become more reliable and cheaper.
Nec

Return to Fishkeeping Equipment